Oversized gouldian finch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Joan

Hi my name is Joan I’m from central coast, I have recently had my new gouldians hatch 4 babes successfully. One is particularly oversized, he? Is as big as mum n dad if not a little bigger, other 3 are flying but the large baby is not. We ve put in several step branches so he can associate with his bro’s n sisters and he’s coping well with those, but, totally hopeless at flying. My question if any of u guys can help, is..will he eventually gain flight, or am I fighting a losing battle. Much appreciate any advise. Regards Joan
Rod_L

any chance of a picture of the bird 9preferably with it's siblings and parents)?
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds unusual. But as Rod says, visual may give some indication.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi Joan,

I had a gouldian finch that was like that, quite bigger and couldn't fly. But after 7 days out of the nest he learned to fly. Just give them some time.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Joan

Thanks all for replies re oversized baby finch, he? Has now joined his siblings size wise, but, I’ve seen why he cannot fly, on right wing he doesn’t have flight feathers only smaller ones. Ive isolated him now that parents aren’t feeding him, and he’s coping well, he falls down a lot, but coping. My question is, after molt this year, might he get a full set of flight feathers, or is he just a walking finch. I’m used to birds not flying, we have a sulphur crested who has never taken flight, and a female king parrot I got from rescue same problem (broken wing).
Rod_L

any chance of some pictures and a short video of the bird falling down?
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Time will tell, is the most honest answer I can give. It would depend on why he has no flight feathers. If they were somehow pulled out by other birds, then they should grow fine. If they did not grow because the wing was damaged in some way, it will depend if the damage extended to the feather shafts. If it is a genetic glitch, then probably not. Good luck with him.
LML
LML
Joan

Thanks for replies, I guess it’s a waiting game now. We r building a larger outside aviary, I hope to put sum plants in it, I have bamboo palm, Boston fern so far but I wld like to put sum grass in there for quails as well as finches, but I am told Guinea grass is now considered a weed in many places, and, I may not find same. So the hunt is on, any suggestions please wld be much appreciated,. my friend works in plant nursery so she’s willing to look around for me, but not knowing the right grass to ask for as yet. Regards Joan
Brisbane_Finches_333

Maybe some shrubs that provide cover for them, such as Melaleuca (Claret Tops or Revolution Gold), most species of Bottlebrush and Grevillea and other dense bushes that provide covers? Also is your aviary protected from rodents, a rat wall (trench under ALL walls 30+cm deep filled with concrete or chicken wire) is mandatory in a planted aviary because rodents will get in and eat finches.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another way of doing a rodent wall is go down 70cm below ground and up 70cm above ground with smooth material they cant dig under or climb up. Need to be very careful that door gaps are not more than 1/2cm also. Most seeding native grasses are just fine in a finch avairy, though some are a little over enthusiasic in their growth. Your friend should be able to stear you to the best ones.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”