Oversized gouldian finch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also can't say for sure re Lilly Pilly. But I use Gum and Mulberry and Cape Lilac without any problems. Because that is what I have to prune.
LML
LML
Rod_L

finchbreeder wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 22:46 I also can't say for sure re Lilly Pilly. But I use Gum and Mulberry and Cape Lilac without any problems. Because that is what I have to prune.
LML
LOL, love it. gotta prune it so use it :)
death to all cats & ants
Joan

Mny thx Rod 😊
Joan

Aand also LML (finch reeder). I’ll use sum gum also, I was looking forward to getting the finches in to new aviary, in the niot too distant future, but I was surprised by my black headed breeding. Oh well gives me time to perfect the aviary I guess. I’m gonna need the room for sure now.
Joan

Can I pick ur brains again pls? I want to giv my finches sum egg food, I’ve bought a commercial mix, now I want to add sum egg n mayb sum dried veggies. Is their a problem with giving them the boiled egg and eggshell straight away in the mix?. I seem to recall I shld dry the eggshell out first or even microwave it to reduce contaminates. Really not sure how to do it, appreciate yr info as always. Joan
Rod_L

My home made egg biscuit mix.

Hard boil a chicken egg.
Remove the shell and crush it up and put it in the cage or on the garden. (Never put raw egg or shell in an aviary because it can spread disease).
Put the boiled egg in a bowl and use a fork to crush it up.

Get 1 cup of cornflakes and put it in a paper or plastic bag. Get the air out of the bag and seal it up.
Use a rolling pin to crush the cornflakes into little pieces.
Add the crushed cornflakes to the boiled egg and mix it together.
Feed the mix to the birds. Remove uneaten food at the end of the day.

---------------------------
If you have raw egg shells you can boil them for 5 minutes before putting in the bird cage.

You can add boiled egg to commercial egg biscuit mixes but check the expiry date on the mix. Some shops have old stock. And check them for weevils and cobwebs in the packet. The cobwebs are from the weevil larvae.

Don't mix veges with egg biscuit mix, keep them separate.
Don't give birds onions or onions relatives (spring onion, shallots, leeks, etc) and no potatoe.

Dark green leafy veges are the best food but rinse well and make sure they don't have any chemicals on them.
death to all cats & ants
BrettB

If you have raw egg shells you can boil them for 5 minutes before putting in the bird cage.
Or microwave for 2 minutes if you are time poor :P
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Green seeding grasses are the best for all types of finches, in my opinion. And weed the garden of the winter grass that is coming up all over the place. I am a bit of a waste not want not type.
LML
LML
Joan

Thanks guys for yr info, much appreciated 👍😊
Joan

I hav a conundrum ..... one of the babies From my first fledged babies from red head finch, is invading the box that my black head finch is currently feeding her babies (x 4) the father of these babes seems to be ok with this baby invading the nest, and the black headed mum mostly stands outside the nest box wen dad is sitting on the babies. The other babies from first feeding r not doing this thank goodness. They seem to be feeding themselves ok. Should this behaviour endanger the black headed babies, or does this happen often? Appreciate yr advice, as always. 🥰

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”