Oversized gouldian finch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Joan

I’m thinking of putting sum quails into the new aviary, but I have sum silver and fawn king quails who have been in,their aviary with parrots for years, so I might get sum new quails for Gouldians. Atm I have 5 adults and 6 babies, so I figured on introducing just a few king quails to the cage..mayb 4 or 6? Any suggestions?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have experimented with different quail mixes over the years, and found that in 99% of cases 2 or 3 is the best number. Once you get more than that they get teritorial and start fighting. Even when putting 3 in together, they are best introduced at the same time, and it is best if the 2 ladies are sisters.Depends of course on the personality of the birds (I have been line breeding for many years to achieve a passive natured line) and the size of the avairy. How big is this avairy? (Currently have pairs in 2 avairies, a trio in another, and a group of 4 in another.)
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm a big fan of the '2 sisters to an unrelated male' approach mentioned above.
Joan

Hello, and thx for advice. I have in my large aviary 11 cinnamon, fawn and brown quails, they get on famously together more females than males of course. Lol goes without saying the females always get on well..this cage is 3x3. M as I have several king and princess parrots. My new cage for finches is only 2x2M. But these new quails seem a bit flighty so after quarantine is ova I’ll put em in big cage, to let them get used to birds flying about above them. They are tuxedo, brown n pearl king quails, not as well behaved as my quails. Time will tell wether I ll put them in with the finches I guess, but thx again for yr advice guys.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

goes without saying the females always get on well..
On the contrary. My avairy of 4 is now an avairy of 3 because 2 of the hens turned on the 3rd. Yes they are were all the same family, in a 2mtr cube. What size is your large avairy? Is the large avairy planted or unplanted? Always interested to know what other people are doing right, that I can learn from.
LML
LML
Joan

Hi guys, I’m still waiting to transfer my finches into their larger outside cage, so I’m still planting sum grasses into it, Ive come across a poa named eskdale and another kingsdale, these have plenty of seed heads, and I was wondering if they wld be suitable. Thanks as always for yr assistance. Hope u guys r keeping well in these trying times. Joan 😘
Joan

Can u guys advise me, one female gouldian finch is losing some head feathers. And.. I moved them all into the larger cage outside yesterday, I noticed she was nest building more or less as soon as she got into the new cage. Should I remove all nesting material and let her rest for this year? Joan
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like she is in breeding condition, is happy with her mate and the new avairy and ready to go. I would let her go for it, and make sure to keep up the greens. Hopefully you will soon have more young.
LML
LML
Joan

Mny thx LML, I’ll let her get on with it then. And I will keep up with her veggies n greens. Her last babes havnt finished coloring up yet, but I can see I have sum black headed white front and sum red headed, but one is not showing the normal colors for a baby that is.. green and grey, I’m rather excited to see him/her color, there’s white on its wings, it’s v exciting to see what color it will be. Thanks again..Joan
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What colour are the parent gouldians?
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”