eggs in nest but what if clear

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
karlisa

hi, just a question,i have a pr of painteds on eggs and i worked out they shouldve all hatched by tomorrow.after checking today i noticed none have hatched.now should i wait a few more days or should i get them out ? will the parents stop attending to them if they are not fertile ?
thanks
E Orix

Be patient you may have a light sitter, if so the eggs can take up to 2 extra days.
If by Friday nothing has happened then they are most likely no good.
Fertile eggs about to hatch are chalky white, infertile eggs are pinkish white.
Eggs with dead in the shell are chalky white with darker areas on them
The key word is be patient and don't interfere especially when birds are feeding chicks
karlisa

I may have calculated the time wrong,so I’ll give it till next Tuesday then check again.thanks orix that gives me hope.it is their first nest so I know it could go either way
karlisa

ok well i left the pair alone and this morning when i could have a quick look i see one baby and 1 egg not hatched and there was another egg but i couldnt see it so im hoping there is another baby in there.should i remove the egg now or leave it? will the parents throw it out if its not doing anything ? seems my other male painted is very interested in whats going on in the nest and has been going right in but doesnt seem to be causing any trouble.
noah.till

Leave the egg alone, if you keep disturbing the nest they may abandon. It doesn't matter if you leave the egg in
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
karlisa

thanks noah i wasnt sure what i should do,im excited to see one baby kicking around but im really hoping the 3rd egg is a hidden second baby.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Make sure they have a little extra greens to help get the baby/babies off to a good start. And wait patiently. Enjoy.
LML
LML
karlisa

ive been trying them on greens and they dont touch them,even cucumber but at least theyre all into the sprouted seed
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The greens I feed mine are seeding grass/weeds from my safe - pesticide free garden. Sometimes just the seeds, sometimes the whole weed, so they can dig through the roots for minute bugs. I have also planted bird seed and fed the seed heads to them, but its a bit late to do this. Maybe next time. Sprouted seed is excellent.
LML
LML
karlisa

well now they have been eating cucumber like theyre donuts and i tried live mealworms and my painteds and tanimbars are loving them too so now i have some healthy little youngster painteds nearly ready to come out,so thrilling as this is my first ever clutch ive had.only 2 but better than none!

Return to “Breeding Finches”