Can I have blue Gouldian male with normal Gouldians

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
JHPM

Hi all. Would like to know if I can have a blue male Gouldian in an aviary with normal Gouldians. The aviary consist of a couple of spill blue males and females , pair of zebras and a few normal Gouldians.

Is the care different?
garyh

if your gouldians are doing well now then adding a blue should be ok,cheers garyh
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But you will only be able to sell the young as whatever they are visually, as you will not be able to guarantee the parentage.
LML
LML
BLUES

finchbreeder wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 09:53 But you will only be able to sell the young as whatever they are visually, as you will not be able to guarantee the parentage.
LML
Not necessarily so. If the blue cock breeds with one of the split hens in the aviary and one or more of the young turns out to be a blue, you can guarantee the rest of the young in that nest will be split for blue.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed, but it's a big if which requires you to ring the chicks in the nest. Because once a couple of nests fledge close together you could get it wrong. Have tried it here, though with the sexes reversed.
LML
LML
BLUES

finchbreeder wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 23:00 Agreed, but it's a big if which requires you to ring the chicks in the nest. Because once a couple of nests fledge close together you could get it wrong. Have tried it here, though with the sexes reversed.
LML
I totally agree I always ring my birds while in the nest. Only way to keep accurate records of your breeding when you have multiple pairs in together.
JHPM

What special care would the blue Gouldians need

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”