What version of Star is this :)

Includes Species Profile.
arthur

A grizzle-pied mate obviously would be ideal . . But they are scarcer than hens' teeth . . if available at all

And human nature being what it is; anybody 'out there' who may happen to have one, would see it as your duty to sell your bird to him . . Just as you would see it in reverse.

And . . if he has a breeding programme in train, he may well be right

Which puts you 'on the spot', in that you will have to start with 'colour' x 'normal' = all 'splits' . . A long road; but an exciting one :silent:

And . . if you do happen to get a pied hen . . it may be a different 'pied' from yours, and you will then get young that are normal looking 'double-splits' . . for some added excitement

Can you still feel that "sense of responsibility" . . ?
Finchfam

This is a steep learning curve for someone who hasn't dabbled in anything quite like this. I thought I was being adventurous when I drifted into Blue Gouldians this season. Years ago I bred lutino Peach faced Lovebirds when they were still newish. But they suddenly seem mundane now you have illuminated the path ahead. I just spent the last hour of daylight ensuring the aviary he's in is nice and draft free given the weather forecast for south east QLD. It wasn't just for him I hasten to add. The Gouldians will be much happier for it. Your words say it all - a long road; but an exciting one. I've organised purchase of a hen that I'll collect on Sunday, just as the temperature drops to 9 degrees. There are three to choose from approx twelve months old - they've been in a holding cage with no breeding happening. So about as ideal as is possible. I'll stay in touch. If things pan out ok and you're in the hunt down the track, I'd love to share the responsibility.
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The shortest route is to pair him to different normal hens each year and put half sibs back to each other. While VERY carefully looking out for anything funky happening. Have fun. You are still the envy of many.
LML
LML
Craig52

No pied is pied whether they are yellow face or red face and it is governed by the feather base colour. Green is the base colour for yellow pied and black/grey feathers it is white hence the white feathers in the flights in my pic. Orange breasted waxbill pieds are a good example of this and they are becoming more available and they came from grizzles. Cordon pieds have white feathers hence the dark brown back and blue body that also inhibits yellows,reds and green as a base colour but they came from pied and grizzle pieds.
Best of luck with your adventure but if nothing out of the ordinary appears with the young breed back one of your young hens to him and sibling to sibling for one generation and get rid of the original hen or keep for breeding back down the track in a separate aviary paired to a normal cock bird for new blood.
arthur

Here is my advice . . basically what Craig, and FB have said

Step 1: PIED X Normal Hen = All young guaranteed splits

Step 2: Don't be in a hurry to put daughter back to father . . Obtain another normal hen, unrelated to original hen
Repeat Step 1 . . This will give young, only partly related to Step 1 young . . again all guaranteed splits

Step 3: Brothers and sisters from Step 1 can be paired . . but better pairings would be Step 1 x Step 2 birds
Some young will hopefully be PIED . . Some will be 'splits' . . Some will be normal . . 'splits' and 'normals' will be indistinguishable of
course

Save all these young to mate with PIED birds later

Step 4: Mate PIED with a third hen as above . . OR

Step 5: Mate PIED with one of his PIED grand-daughters from Step 3 . . giving all PIED young

Obviously your call as to how many young you take from each step

Should you lose PIED cock bird, you can still get back into the 'game' by using your guaranteed splits
Last edited by arthur on 30 Apr 2020, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
Finchfam

Well it's nice having a blueprint especially from three wise ones (can't say men as I know one of you isn't). Once again thank you so much for your assistance. I'll do my best to look after the little fellow and keep the bloodline going. Wintery blast this weekend but he was living in an outdoor aviary in Tamworth so he may not even notice. And he will soon have a partner to keep him warm. If I get stuck down the track I'll come for another COVID19-safe visit to this forum. Best of luck with your birds, may they be fruitful and multiply...a lot.
Michael
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
arthur

Progress Report??
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I 2nd Arthurs request? Babies?
LML
Craig52

Yes me too, just don't tell us it all moulted out in the next moult. :eh: :wtf: :thumbup:

Return to “Star”