Sick canary

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
LizardChick

I would appreciate any advice on offer here. I only have a few birds so not here often and I would hate to lose one :cry:

This canary cock was full of song yesterday when I scrubbed cages. This morning he was sitting on floor of his cage fluffed up with head drooped back on the nape. He doesn't open eyes or move unless disturbed, then returns to fluffed-up resting position. He is able to perch and fly but only does so when disturbed.

Yesterday I removed birds from cages and scrubbed with F10 SC Veterinary Disinfectant, high strength. I also changed the perches. Rinsed off but concerned I didn't rinse well enough?

Also put Moxidectin Plus in water. Is it possible to overdose with Moxi?

Maybe there's something underlying and being taken out of the cage was enough stress to make him get sick?

I can't think of anything else that could have happened. If it's poisoning from disinfectant or too much moxidectin, what can I do?

I currently have him in a travel cage resting on a heat cushion. I have also dosed him several times with water + electrolytes (Spark Liquid).
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.
I asume he shares his cage with other birds and they are all OK?
LML
LizardChick

Thanks, no he's got his own cage.

The other birds seem fine and their cages got similar treatment but his was the last I cleaned and I might not have rinsed enough...
LizardChick

The cock is about the same as yesterday :(

Feeding him diluted egg & biscuit. Dosed him with Baycox and vitamins.

Wouldn't a disinfectant poisoning take longer to appear, not within 16 hours of being put into a cleaned cage?

Worried ??
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some poisons are quick acting, some slow.
Just keep him quiet and supplied with his favourite foods, and let the poison work its way through his system. As that is the only way he will get well.
I know waiting is hard, but there is little else you can do.
Hope to hear good news in a couple of days.
LML
LizardChick

OK! That's reassuring. He does seem a little more active.

Happy Christmas LML :)
Rod_L

LizardChick wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 07:50 The cock is about the same as yesterday :(

Feeding him diluted egg & biscuit. Dosed him with Baycox and vitamins.

Wouldn't a disinfectant poisoning take longer to appear, not within 16 hours of being put into a cleaned cage?

Worried ??
What is Baycox?

If a bird is poisoned, and it sounds like you poisoned yours, you don't want to give it anything except normal food (egg biscuit is ok) and lots of fluids. If Baycox is a dewormer or something used to treat parasites or diseases, it will put more pressure on his liver and other organs and potentially increase the risk of death.

The vitamins are fine but don't overdose them either.

---------------------------
You can overdose with Moxidectin or any medication. If the bird ingested disinfectant and moxidectin, it could combine into something even more toxic than either of the two products.

Why are you using disinfectant on the cage?
Unless the bird had a contagious disease/ infection, there is no reason to disinfect the cage with chemicals.

Warm/ hot soapy water is normally sufficient to clean a cage and then rinse well with tap water. I used to just let the birds out in a bedroom and carry the cages outside onto the lawn, then hose them off and dry them before bringing back inside.

If you want to disinfect the cage, use white vinegar. Move the bird into another cage and then wash the original cage with white vinegar. Leave for 15 minutes and then rinse well.

Hopefully your bird will be ok but it will probably be a month or more before he has fully recovered, and that is assuming no permanent damage was done. Fingers crossed :)
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Baycox is for Coci if my memory serves me right.
Warm/ hot soapy water is normally sufficient to clean a cage and then rinse well with tap water. - Tend to agree with Rod here. Plus lots of scrubbing.
LML

Return to “Finch Health”