first clutch of tri coloured pf

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
karlisa

my young pair just fledged theyre first clutch, 5 youngsters !! i didnt expect that many, its very exciting trying to count how many you have when theyre fluttering everywhere ... these are my first time with parrot finches too so had to share with people who understand the excitement of it all lol
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations to you and the new parents. Keep up the greens.
LML
karlisa

thanks finchbreeder yes ive got plenty of that,been trying to get my birds to take soldier fly larvae but they just look at it and wont try them,im really hoping they will take to them i think they will be a nice nutricious change from mealworms
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes a vinegar fly trap works. Just put an empty plastic fruit juice bottle with holes in and rotting fruit in the avairy, and see if they take the flys, that go in and out. I use my icepick to make the holes - only use it gets. :silent:
LML
karlisa

thats an idea i might try that or else i'll keep mixing pupae with mealies and hope theyll get the idea
arthur

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factsh ... e/11184864

Haven't heard of anybody using Soldier Fly larvae for finches . . but that doesn't mean that it is not a good idea . . comments welcome . .

And above is a "How to Make" for a SF farm . .
karlisa

just a side question on my tri coloureds,the above mentioned clan are now independant and doing great but today i noticed one of them raping his sister.he was mating her full on and she sat there now theres no chance he could produce anything at that age is there ? is it normal behaviour to do that this young ? may have to remove them out of the aviary sooner than i wanted too.i cant sex them yet as they have no colour yet but one is clearly male!!.should i be concerned about this or not ? advice very eagerly taken lol
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Parrot finches do have a bit of a reputaion for inappropriate behaviour. :problem:
LML
karlisa

ahhh do they,i didnt know that,may have to get them out soon i think,parents are with another clutch.
thanks finchbreeder!

Return to “Breeding Finches”