Puffed-up Star Finch Hen

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Joe

Hi, my name is Ed and i’m new to this forum. I just have a question regarding my star finch hen. I bought a pair of star finches last week and i notice my hen fluffed up when she sits on the perch. She’s less active than the male. She eats bathes and grooms herself and plays sometimes but usually just sits on the perch puffed up. By the way, thank you for accepting me in this forum and more power!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Questions that may help. Are they indoors or out? Size of cage? Do they have a nest? Were they bought from a breeder and are you feeding the same diet?
LML
Rod_L

Hi Ed and welcome to the forum :)

What does the bird's poop look like?
What does the birds butt look like?
Does she have any discharge from her eyes, nose or mouth?
Is she wheezing or making unusual noises when breathing?

Keep the bird warm (30-32C) and dry and out of any draughts for at least a week. Make sure she has plenty of water. If she doesn't improve in a day or two, take her to a bird vet and get them to check her out.
death to all cats & ants
Joe

finchbreeder wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 17:32 Questions that may help. Are they indoors or out? Size of cage? Do they have a nest? Were they bought from a breeder and are you feeding the same diet?
Hi, i keep them indoors. Cage size is 25”x15”x21”. They have a nest and feeding the same diet. Thank you.
Joe

Rod_L wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:48 Hi Ed and welcome to the forum :)

What does the bird's poop look like?
What does the birds butt look like?
Does she have any discharge from her eyes, nose or mouth?
Is she wheezing or making unusual noises when breathing?

Keep the bird warm (30-32C) and dry and out of any draughts for at least a week. Make sure she has plenty of water. If she doesn't improve in a day or two, take her to a bird vet and get them to check her out.
Hi Rod,

Poop looks normal and butt looks clean and not swollen. No discharge from eyes, nose and mouth. No wheezing or unusual noise. I live in Cananda and temperature is about 18-23C. Thank you.
Rod_L

Being fluffed up when sitting on a perch is an indication the bird is not happy about something. It can be cold or have a disease/ illness.

Depending on where she came from, she might be cold. If the previous owner had her in a heated bird room, then she might be use to warmer temperatures and this might be all that is wrong. However, you should keep a close eye on her and try to raise the temperature a bit to see if it helps. If warmer temperatures don't help, then contact a bird vet.

When birds get sick, their health can deteriorate very quickly and they usually recover better in warm conditions (around 30-32C). If you increase the room temperature, make sure they have plenty of water.
Last edited by Rod_L on 05 Feb 2021, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good advice from Rod. Is your cage a similar size to their previous habitat? If used to a larger cage she may be unhappy, sometimes one bird will adapt better than another. But Rod's suggestion is more likely. Or if the pair has been together for some time at the previous location she may even be carrying an egg.
LML
Joe

Rod_L wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 12:49 Being fluffed up when sitting on a perch is an indication the bird is not happy about something. It can be cold or have a disease/ illness.

Depending on where she came from, she might be cold. If the previous owner had her in a heated bird room, then she might be use to warmer temperatures and this might be all that is wrong. However, you should keep a close eye on her and try to raise the temperature a bit to see if it helps. If warmer temperatures don't help, then contact a bird vet.

Thank you very much😀

When birds get sick, their health can deteriorate very quickly and they usually recover better in warm conditions (around 30-32C). If you increase the room temperature, make she they have plenty of water.
Joe

finchbreeder wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:27 Good advice from Rod. Is your cage a similar size to their previous habitat? If used to a larger cage she may be unhappy, sometimes one bird will adapt better than another. But Rod's suggestion is more likely. Or if the pair has been together for some time at the previous location she may even be carrying an egg.
Thank you very much😊

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”