Parson finch and diamond dove nesting

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Ziggyp

Hello, I'm not sure if a similar question was asked before, I couldn't find it while searching the forum. I have an indoor aviary, with currently two owl finches, two Javas, a diamond dove (I had more in the past, she's the last one), and a Parson finch, who had a friend before but she died soon after I got them both.
Recently, my Parson seems to have fallen in love with my dove. He is constantly, though not aggressively, fussing over her, pecking at her gently to groom her, and following her everywhere. She doesn't seem bothered by him, and has no feathers missing or showing any signs of physical bullying or rough behaviour. After three weeks or so like that, he started building her a nest, and two days ago she actually laid two eggs in that nest. When she leaves the nest to feed, he settles on them and stays on them for her.
I had intended to get more birds, but it hasn't been possible with the pandemic, and I hadn't expected my finch to get so 'in love' with my dove. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of things before??

Many thanks in advance,
Ziggy
Rod_L

I have never heard of a finch hooking up with a dove, but when you have sociable birds that normally live in pairs, and they are not able to live in a pr with their own kind, then they often hang out with other species. You should photograph and video them. Then try to find a partner for the finch and the dove so they can live with their own kind.

All birds prefer to choose their own mates so it's a good idea to have 6 or more of each species and let them pick their partners.

Parson finches and double bars (owl finches) live in colonies and do best in groups.
The Java Finches might reduce the chances of the other finches breeding, especially the double bars.
death to all cats & ants
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very unusuall situation. However birds like people will form friendships with other birds. My last remaining Diamond dove (male) spends a lot of time with the King Quail. Though at the moment he keeps sitting in nests. The quail have chicks again so maybe he thinks he should.
How big is your indoor avairy? Do you have enough nests so every lady has a choice? e.g. 1 nest per hen and a spare. Do you have a mix of nest sizes and types?
LML
Ziggyp

Thank you Rod and finchbreeder for your replies. What you say does go with what I was thinking, the owl finches being a pair and the javas being a pair just left the lone parson and dove (we had several doves in the past, this is the last one left) so I guess they were happy to have each other for company. I'll try to get some footage of their behaviour, my earlier concern was that the parson was sooooo attentive to the dove that she'd be stressed, but even in his grooming he seems fairly gentle and she settles quite happily in the nest with him at night.
He is very protective of her. I have cats, who do come into the room with the aviary when we're in there and can supervise so they don't bother the birds, and just at the sight of the cat he bravely jumps out of the nest and hops on the spot on the perch near the nest as if to try and protect it, looking all angry!
The aviary is 250cm long by 60cm wide and 125cm tall, which is the biggest I could fit in my house when I had to move away from my previous place, where I had a large outdoor aviary. The current indoor aviary was purpose built for me. Because of the size indoors I limit how many birds I have, breeding is not necessarily a priority, but I have found some birds seem to do better indoors than others (I had to research light/ daylight issues, looked into special bulbs but after research decided not helpful, got a vitamin supplement, etc), so will keep that in mind now when getting more birds, more owls and parsons was a possibility to have little flocks rather than a lot of variety. I'm in the UK and the place I get my birds from had to be closed for most of the last year with the pandemic.
I have currently 7 coconut shells (halves and full ones with holes) and a couple of closed baskets in there. They all seem to like sleeping in the half coconuts.
2021-03-17 19.09.06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the avairy in a position where it gets any natural daylight at all? If not vitamin D will be necessary, though greens help. 1/2 Coconut shell is perfect size and shape for the Dove. They look so sweet in there. Plenty of nests then, though the coconut shells can be a bit smoother than is ideal. I find that all finches love white feathers and torn white tissues for nesting. I found my Owls have never done any good if the numbers go below 3. Currently down to 4 again and am hoping that the activity going on in the brush above my head is nesting.
Note to self - short people should not put the best nests and nesting materials above visibility height.
Even here in West Aussie - buying and selling birds has been harder this past year. And having a sister in the London area I know how much more difficult things have been in the UK
If circumstances allow - I would be getting a couple more Owls and a mate for your Parson.
In the mean time they are company for each other and hurting no one with their friendship.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”