Fawn Emblemas

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Redbus

Can someone explain the genetics of the fawn mutation in Painted firetails. I assume the mutation is recessive so you would need a fawn and a split to produce fawn offspring. Any advice appreciated.
Alf63

You are correct. Autosomal recessive. Can have splits in both cocks and hens. As you have stated you need a Split & Fawn to produce coloured young of either sex
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ideally you need a Split and a Fawn. It is possible to do so with 2 spits. But there is so much wastage (non fawn birds that you do not know if they carry the gene so can only sell as "normal/possible splits") Can also do with 2 Fawns, believe these birds are quite strong enough that this is not a problem.
LML
Redbus

Thanks Alf63 and finchbreeder for the information.
Redbus

finchbreeder wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 10:11 Ideally you need a Split and a Fawn. It is possible to do so with 2 spits. But there is so much wastage (non fawn birds that you do not know if they carry the gene so can only sell as "normal/possible splits") Can also do with 2 Fawns, believe these birds are quite strong enough that this is not a problem.
Well I seem to have struck gold. I bought a fawn hen but because of lockdowns etc I could not find a split fawn cock, so I just paired her up with a nice normal red cock I bought for $30. They have just fledged three chicks and one of them is fawn and the other two will be split. So it looks like I stumbled upon a split fawn cock by accident.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very lucky!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go buy a lotto ticket. :thumbup: It is obviously your lucky time.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”