Which Finch Mix is best

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
farsouth

Hi everyone,
i have been giving my two gouldians trill finch mix for a long time and was wondering if anyone knows of a better finch mix around... :) Also do any finch mixes get cleaned to stop bacteria....As i worry with all the mice around at the moment. ;-)
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost anything is better than Trill. It's a very poor quality mix often containing a lot of imported (which means treated) seeds.

I'm a fan of the avigrain range of seed, supplemented with as many greens as I can produce.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi farsouth,

I completely agree with Shane, Trill is a terrible quality birdseed. I use Avigrain Blue finch mix and my finches love it. Are you feeding your birds anything other than seed?

Thanks,
Aidan
Last edited by Brisbane_Finches_333 on 01 Sep 2021, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
elferoz777

I heard trill and Golden cob are made in the same place??????
Golden cob w$%nks on about being aussie and treating the seed with vitamins and oil. If it would not run me broke I would try it....otherwise avigrain is the go topped up with red and yellow millet
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
farsouth

Hi all,
Thankyou so much that helps as i knew trill wasnt the best but i didnt think it was bad but i now know so thankyou very much...i have looked into avi blue and i can get a blue or red aviblue..to me the blue looks better but i'm not sure. As i have two gouldians a girl and a boy who dont breed which is fine by me...I feel so so bad that i have been giving them such a bad diet for years now.. :cry: My gouldians have the trill mix with vetafarm crumbles mix in it and grit as well with vetafarm vitamins in the water every 3 days with vitamin d in the vitamins as well as they live in doors but i dont think they get what they need from the little sun on the cage..i also have cuttle fish in the cage and they only eat baby spinach and silverbeet and boycoy daily...I have tried apples and carrot but they dont touch it but now i will keep at it no matter what.I also give them filtered water.thankyou again ....i will do anything for my finches and this helps alot thankyou again... :)
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi farsouth,

Please don't feel like you're treating your birds badly by feeding Trill, before I joined the forum I fed Trill too as it was the only brand I thought was available. :)

In terms of veggies, you tried a wedge of Lebanese Cucumber? I feed it daily and my finches adore it.

Thanks,
Aidan :thumbup:
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

farsouth wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 12:20 Hi all,
i have looked into avi blue and i can get a blue or red aviblue..to me the blue looks better but i'm not sure.
Blue is considered to be the more premium of the two.

Gouldians absolutely LOVE green seed heats. If you've got a few pots laying around, try growing some. You can just plant a handful of your birdseed and feed what grows. And if nothing grows, you know it's poor quality bird seed :lolno:
farsouth

Hi All,
thanks for the replys...Shane do you mean sprout the seedlings and then pull the entire seedling out of the ground when its say a couple of inches tall and put the whole thing in the cage with out the roots?..cheers.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plant your birdseed in a number of pots, one pot at a time at intervals of 3/4days. This way it will come into seed gradually over time. As the seedheads appear, pick and put into the cage. This gives you a continuous supply. Or keep planting and pulling the whole plant up when it seeds. Put the whole plant roots and all into the cage. All finches love picking through the roots for minute bugs. Even Gouldians.
LML
Jebtech95

farsouth wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:35 Hi All,
thanks for the replys...Shane do you mean sprout the seedlings and then pull the entire seedling out of the ground when its say a couple of inches tall and put the whole thing in the cage with out the roots?..cheers.
What i have are a few foam boxes on the side of the house full of soil i put my avigrain blue leftover seed in each box but i usually do in intervals 5 boxes 1 different box every 2 weeks gives me a constant supply and i usually just wait for seeds to sprout and use scissors to cut. Every few weeks i re plant seeds in foam boxes one all seeds have been used. No need to pull the hole plant out you can use leftover stem and roots as compost in soil.

Just to make it more clear first box ill use up all the freshly grown seed sprouts once i move on the the next box ill re seed the first box by the time i get to the 4-5th bix the first box already has seed growing and its just a cycle

Very efficient way of growing seed i have found

Return to “Diet & Food”