Which Finch Mix is best

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Jebtech95

finchbreeder wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 11:07 Plant your birdseed in a number of pots, one pot at a time at intervals of 3/4days. This way it will come into seed gradually over time. As the seedheads appear, pick and put into the cage. This gives you a continuous supply. Or keep planting and pulling the whole plant up when it seeds. Put the whole plant roots and all into the cage. All finches love picking through the roots for minute bugs. Even Gouldians.
Same idea
lemnosian

Trill and Golden Cob are both trademarks of Mars Australia
farsouth

HI all.

Thankyou so very much for all your advice...
i have been giving my babies avi blue for a little while now and they love it so much....so thankyou again.....also i have put the seed in pots and over the last two weeks watched them grow....I'm unsure as to when i give them to my babies are they are around 15cms long and looks like long grass with green bits on the bottom of the grass.. ;-) cheers kylie
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once the seed forms seed heads and the heads are nice and green, that is the time to feed out.
LML
Mr Tino

Finch mix breeder request is the best and all Australian grown from farmer in Shepparton,very good stuff and fresh and well mix and balance too.
Last edited by Mr Tino on 18 Jan 2022, 04:11, edited 4 times in total.
Mr Tino

lemnosian wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 08:44 Trill and Golden Cob are both trademarks of Mars Australia
True bud,not as good as they say
kelli45

To provide a well-balanced diet with high-calorie ingredients, I make my seed mixes for them and have found great success in attracting palatable finch. My finch seed mix includes black sunflower, wheat, white millet, red millet, niger seed, canary seed, and rapeseed.
prestonflatley

My finch seed includes, “Phalaris”, “Signal Grass” and “Silk Sorghum.” Wild Sorghum grass seeds form the main part of the wild Gouldian finches’ staple diet. Besides, Niger seeds and sunflower seeds are both excellent choices for attracting different species of finch to your garden.
Jessica

I'm new to raising Gouldians. I have many top-rated seed mixes for them but, upon researching, it appears 'Gouldians love sorghum.' I found this on line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0976 ... SRI4P&th=1

It says it is organic but also says it isn't sproutable. I'm just wondering if you think it would be good to add this sorghum to my varieties of seeds for them. I've purchased many mixes and all the seeds all of you mention already.

Second question: Where can I buy good 'sprouting' seed. I've been reading about sprouting and want to begin doing it for them. Thank you so much for ideas!

Jess. :-)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good sprouting seed is seed that has not had the life zapped out of it when it is imported. So most locally grown seed is good sprouting seed.
Many finches can not eat sunflower or wheat because they are too small to do so.
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”