What are your 2021 breeding projects?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I seem to recall some pics of different nodules and explainations - in the Gouldian thread - back a bit.
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

My breeding projects are mostly Red-Faced Parrot Finches and Show Zebras, the Gouldians and Silverbills (last year's project) are breeding like flies.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Gympie birds

Update I have a pied orange Breast breeding. Did lose some painted chicks to first time parents which is a shame. More pairs of painteds are nesting as well.
shnapper20

im ridding myself of my wrens and sticking to seed eaters as we have purchased a new van and intend to get out and about more. I will still be feeding out maggots but not as consistently as I have.
E Orix

This coming season will be interesting not just for me but many others. Living in a rural community means that most of my excess with regard the less rare species are normally sold through bird sales and as we have had none our holding aviaries are getting full, or like I just let them do what they normally do, breed. Ironically there isn't a problem with the rare species which are generally sold over the phone and some how picked up or delivered.
I am sure this will happen to many who like I will just keep them, let them breed and wait for the next sale.
It will be interesting,an example is my colony of Tri Coloured Nuns(Munia), these are my seed birds and the colony(8 pair) normally produce around 30+ each season. I guess there are 40+ left at the moment so if things go as normal I will be bulk selling when next I can move them.
Having cut back on softbills and many species earlier my interest falls back on my Weavers and Whydahs, Red Crested, Red Siskins and a few common species. These days I can't chase the big numbers so I just sit back and enjoy them.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No matter what state you are in, I think the buying and selling of birds has been impacted to varying degrees. Here in the west, where we are probably least impacted, it is still harder than usuall to source birds. While, as my seed birds are the Zebs that do not meet my breeding purposes, I am finding them reasonably easy to move.
LML
Gympie birds

I have bred strawberry finches, plumheaded finches, pied parrot finches, Cordon Bleus, painted firetails, goildians , pied orange waxbills , orange waxbills, gouldians white chest and normals, canaries, yellow Turks , scarlet chested parrot , chestnut breasted finches. I am hoping to bred my yellow body stars , normal stars and cinnomon yellow stars, long tails and sea green parrot finches, tri coloured parrot finches and pied ruddies
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent breeding results there Gympie, good luck with the next phase.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”