Female gouldians

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Captainbookworm

Hi people
Hoping for a little advice

I have only started keeping gouldian finches since October.
I had 3 m 3 f
1 f died last week. No idea why.
Half enclouse is open its roughly 3 x3m avairy.
They seem to perch at night in open exposed section.
I'm in Brisbane we basically got hammered with heavey rain since I have had them.
Thinking maybe it got soaked at night ?? And died from that.
Other thing is my males have all came out of molt and fly around all day very active.
My 2 females almost out of molt. Don't do much at all , all day is this normal behaviour?
Thanks Mark
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Males tend to be more active than females. (funny my husband says that about people too :think: ) Can you put up a plastic blind that will keep out the rain, but that can be put up when it is not raining? Though as my daughter lives in Brisbane I understand there are patches when no rain is rare.
LML
Craig52

Hi Mark, it is best to have the whole roof covered for gouldians. They will always sleep in the open no matter what you do.
They can still enjoy the sun if you use clear poly carbonate currigated sheets to run the water off. All finches require dry floors as wet floors can cause diseases and mould.
Captainbookworm

Thanks guys wasn't sure.
Thought be good for plants, breeze, heat etc.
Cheers
[email protected]

"Hi Mark, it is best to have the whole roof covered for gouldians. They will always sleep in the open no matter what you do".

Not to deny lived experience of others, but my experience is completely different. I am in Kuranda FNQ, near the Gouldian old home range of the tropical savannah. My aviary is 1/3 enclosed (3m high) and 2/3 open (2m high). My Gouldians always sleep under cover - in fact it is rare for them to be out and about after 5.30pm - even now in summer.

Perhaps it is because they are amongst trees and fear predation at night. Anyway, that is my experience.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could be right about the trees. As both mum and I have Gouldians that chiefly sleep in the shelter area, and trees or vines over the avairyies.
LML

Return to “Finch Health”