What are your 2020 breeding projects?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im working on dark factor normals...l have them in all three head colours as well as hens now and hopefully next season will see double dark factors (olives?) Here are just a couple which have raised young this year...😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
BLUES

I have made no reference to Dark Factor, to breed a Cobalt Blue. This seasons molt will let me know whether I am successful or not.
Craig52

No worries BLUES, I was just suggesting that cobalt can't just appear out of nowhere it needs a dark factor in the back to make a start.
Good luck and would love to see some pics when they moult out. Cheers Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BLUES wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 19:40 I have made no reference to Dark Factor, to breed a Cobalt Blue. This seasons molt will let me know whether I am successful or not.
Oh that sounds nice....l have read comments and yes jusr like budgies ringnecks etc you need a dark factor bird to give cobalt or olive bird to give violets.....l have noticed in sf euro and double factor euro (yellow) that their is a lot of difference in their colour so imo some of those would have to be dark factor birds....so its possible if difference in blue darker colour birds could be dark factor as well....as in my birds the sf darks vary in depth of colour (just like skin colour in humans) unlike most mutations though the dark factor affects all the colours in the bird....so if you breed for deep colour there is a good chance you are naturally selecting dark factor birds....l believe they have been around a while in normals people have bred and sold as such without realising what they were....🤔😊
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
BLUES

Craig52 wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 00:38 No worries BLUES, I was just suggesting that cobalt can't just appear out of nowhere it needs a dark factor in the back to make a start.
Good luck and would love to see some pics when they moult out. Cheers Craig
I am well aware of the possibilities of using dark factors but this cock bird and its young have no dark factor in their bloodline. Its only when I have introduced 2 genes of the same mutation to the blue mutation I have seen some results. As I have said won`t really know till they moult out.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have made no reference to Dark Factor, to breed a Cobalt Blue. This seasons molt will let me know whether I am successful or not.
Oh that sounds nice....l have read comments and yes jusr like budgies ringnecks etc you need a dark factor bird to give cobalt or olive bird to

I made the reference to dark factor birds - I was musing on how Cobolt could be achieved - My opinion was based on the breeding of Cobolt Budgies as my Mother is a Budgie breeder - It was strictly my opinion.

Mutations can and do do unexpected things - so enjoy what you are doing and we will be thrilled for you when you have achieved what you set out to.
LML
LML
BLUES

Cobalt Blue.jpeg
Not their yet but getting closer to that cobalt I am aiming for.

Compare my avatar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Absolutly beautiful shade of blue. Congratulations on such dramatic progress.
LML
Craig52

I would like to see that bird in direct sunlight, there seems to be a bluish wash in the back ground and foreground in particular the perches. Not knocking the bird but your camera seems capturing to much blue maybe due to the roofing material.
garyh

im thinking the same craig

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”