Gouldian's nail broke off: what can I do to help him?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Charles_Mu

Hello,

My male Gouldian seems to have gotten into an accident. One of his nails broke off. I woke up to find blood in the food bowl, then a little on a perch. There is blood on my gouldian's chest (it's just trace, no wounds there), too, and there is a fair bit on his foot. After examination I saw a nail was missing. He is not bleeding anymore. He is acting just fine, flying around, hopping on my hand, eating, drinking... No difference in his demeanor. For the time being I'm going to sanitize every single thing in the aviary (indoor aviary, by the way), but is there anything else I should do? Guy's a trooper, but I'm scared of infection. I'd appreciate any advice.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the nail has stopped bleeding, it should heal fine. Painful for him at the time, but not a drastic injury. Nails are something that a bird can lose and come back just fine from. Have had a few birds lose them over the years. Have even had them lose toes, that is worse, but equally recoverable. Glad to hear he is handling the injury well.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”