Fostering Gouldian to a Zebra Finch

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Applefinch

I had a 14 day old Gouldian chick which had its head pecked and was abandoned by the parents. I treated the wound and hand feed it with a syringe up to day 24 and at this time I introduced a Zebra hen to teach it how to eat seed. I did try hand feeding but noticed it was only taking a small amount. I had my suspicions confirmed on day 28 when I saw the Zebra on multiple occasions feeding the Gouldian. This has made my life easier. I was wondering if I should have tried introducing the Zebra earlier. Has anyone had experience with fostering Gouldians to Zebras?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some birds are natural parents. :thumbup: Have not had the Zebs in my avaries with Gouldians feed them. But have seen some Zebs feeding multiple size chicks, so not just their own. :D It is always best if birds are raised by their own parents, but in situations like yours. Fostering under their own kind is 2nd best and another good parenting variety after that. People are sometimes good birdy foster parents, but most of us are not.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”