Killer animals

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Litelinlayo

Hi, I have got two pairs of gouldians that already had 3 juveniles each with 1 of the pairs having 2 chicks that looks like 3 days old and a pair of long tailed finches that has eggs. My aviaries are outside the house. In just 5 days, I lost 5 birds. Long tailed hen and gouldian hen got eaten by a cat. The two chicks was left out cold because the other hen was startled by the cat. Then one juvenile got killed by a kookabara. How can I stop this. Do you think I can trap the cat like a possum and surrender it to the council? The cover the cage with thick clear plastic covers so that the birds and cat cannot snatch them from inside. I am very sad to have 5 birds dead. I have been looking after these birds for a year and had no problem before. :(
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry for your loss - it is very disheartening when something like this happens.
The question is - how did the cat get the birds? Roof or walls? I have a mix of solutions. Alsanite on 4x2s above the regular avairy roof, so the gap is 4" this allows for breeze and weather protection and too little a gap for cats and predatory birds. Or fully covered with clear plastic, which can get a bit hot - less of a problem in Victoria than in WA but to be considered.
Cat solution according to male members of my family is lead.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”