Air Sac Mites

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Jamesdefqon

Pesky little buggers... recently got a pair of yellow headed gouldians and from what I've found out from some people on Facebook she has air sack mites, my question is what's the best cure...
I've been told coccivet and avimec... I can find coccivet but I can only find avimec for budgies... is that still OK?

Concerned
Brisbane_Finches_333

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, Coccivet only works for Coccidiosis. For Air Sac Mites, you could try Moxidectin Plus (which is also a wormer), which can be purchased from the Geckodan websiite.

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the couple of occassions when I have had this problem. I have used Ivamecden from my local vet.
As you are in the city, the Murdoch Unit vet school is probably the best place to go.
Others may know of a good vet in the city.
LML
Craig52

Yes coccivet is for coccidiosis not airsac mite. Moxidecton is the best cure for airsac mite. It will also worm your birds at the same time.
Dose at 6ml/ ltr of water but for better results use as a spot on, usually one drop on the skin at the back of the neck and or one drop on the bare skin in the pits under the wing, They will preen this area but ingestion wont hurt your bird.
Stu

Agree with the replies above.
Ivermectin and Moxidectin/Plus are both suitable for Airsac mite treatment.
Note, as a commercial product they will not be advertised as such nor listed for birds.
The Avimec product you noted is an Ivermectin active product and is suitable for Airsac mite treatment although not approved for this use in Australia.
Vetafarm Avimec is a topical treatment for use as per instructions.
Avimec (Ivermectin) is approved for Scally Face Mite in Australia. Vetafarm however produce a product called Scatt available in the US which is approved there for Airsac mite which contains Moxidectin as its active.

Side note I recommend a pipette or dropper as its difficult to administer from the retail bottle onto a small bird.
tanialidgard

I am wondering if anyone has had success ordering s76 in Australia. I have a cage full of finches which need a flock treatment. Instead of the tiring task of catching every single bird near impossible to treat the cage entirely. The gouldian’s have started off with it. Unsure where to go from here.
Brisbane_Finches_333

If you want to treat air sac mites, you could use Moxidectin Plus in the water - It also treats for worms. Danny Brown (Geckodan) will ship it from the Sunshine coast --> http://www.geckodan.com/product/moxi-plus-wormer/

Thanks,
Aidan
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Devito2

s76 or scatt has worked for me.
tanialidgard

Thank you ended up finding someone here at forest lake in qld who sold moxidectin T Aussie parrotlets. I am not sure what is going on with my flock I have done the full treatment I worm them clean cage twice weekly mite spray 6 weekly. I think it is just moulting but they are all sort of losing their colouring! Help

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”