Unusual Coloured Gouldian Fledgling

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
spoton

Hi all, been awhile between posts.
I used to sneak peek into my Gouldian Nests all the time but this year decided not to - just to see what, if any difference it made to nest numbers etc.
This week, i thought I was seeing things when a pale colored fledgling appeared in the aviary.
After observing the fledgling and a number of normal colored gould fledglings being fed by a pair of red headed goulds, I just had to do a close inspection.
The bird is a mix of white, grey and a light yellow with pale white nodules (not the normal Iridescent blue).

The parents are a pair of red headed goulds which have produced a 1-3 nests per season (5 -8 fledglings each time) for the last couple of years but have never produced one like this.

Any ideas as to what the coloration is / may be?

The bird appears to be wet as it was raining today and many of the aviary were taking the opportunity for a shower.

The first photo shows the fledgling with its parents on either side of it and an interested onlooker in the background.

FYI: In this aviary are pairs of red headed goulds, ruddies and orange breasts. There is also an old pair of diamond doves (these are almost 5 years of age).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / comments

Spoton
Family Pic - Gouldian Fledgling.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling a.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling b.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling c.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling d.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling e.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling f.jpg
Gouldian Fledgling g.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garyh

australian yellow,both parents have to be split to aus yellow
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Gary said. Look for signs of 1 or 2 white or yellow feathers on the parents, as this is a common give away.
LML
spoton

Hi Guys,

Thanks for info. I will now have to check the parents.

Is it strange that this is the first of this color out of a number of successful nestings???
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As both parents must be split = 25% chance of this type of chick. So it is a bit surprising that this is the 1st. Unless of course Dad is not the Dad and it was the next door neighbour bird. :shock: Which could be the reason if Mum is split and the other bloke is too.
Mum does not have a brother in the avairy does she? This would increase the odds of a "bit on the side" causing a chick like this.
LML
Craig52

Can we have a look at the parents, especially under the bill and the back of the neck area.
Although a white or yellow spot will prove split Australian yellow not every bird displays this and may look normal.

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”