Orange Breasted Waxbills

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jamesdefqon

G'day all..
I purchased myself a pair or OBWs back in December and the male was pretty scruffy... but once in the aviary he prettied up nicely....
After a while of sleeping in some grass they started building a nest.. this was Feb.. they laid 3 eggs and I did the silly thing of taking a peek... and they abandoned it.. but looking at them they looked infertile...
But they made another clutch in the same nest shortly after...and I didn't touch it.. after maybe what seemed like 4 weeks they both abandoned the nest which had 4 infertile eggs... and now have another which I have left alone.. and it's been maybe 3 weeks and I've not heard anything coming from the nest...
A. Why so many infertile eggs..
B. Do the baby's make noise and when.
C. What's the actual incubation and fledging times...

James
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A. Don't know - maybe one of the pair is old?
B. I used to discover I had chicks when I accidently disturbed them and they shot out in all directions. :shock:
C. I always leave all my birds to decide when to start again themselves. I know this gives me less chicks. But it gives me healtier parent birds who raise the chicks they do have.

I found that my Orange Breasteds loved seed weevils and raised like crazy on them. So if you know anyone who is unhappy that weevils got in their seed, kindly take it off their hands. :thumbup:

Good luck in getting them to breed.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”