hello !

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
essi

hello everyone. my name’s essi and i’m a hobbiest from the east coast of the US. i have a small collection of gouldians, as well as a larger collection of everything-elses. ( but not that large !!! my max capacity is around 40 total. )

my birds have always primarily been pets until i started getting into the soft bills. i have to say after moving my way through trying different species, gouldians have just absolutely taken my heart as one of my favorites. big personality birds, curious, personable and just beautiful as well. i can wander by and they’ll all fly on over to have a look at what i might be bringing them. i have a small collection of 7, and yes, they all have names hahaha.

my first pair of gouldians was purchased about a year ago and my first matched pair are currently on a cutch of 5 babies. ( unfortunately, we lost one just two days ago. )

other than the gouldians, i have 13 parrots and about 20 canaries, mostly rescues and oddballs ( blind, missing feet, toes, bumblefoot, infections, inbred, very old, the list goes on ! ).

i hope to learn and share a lot on this forum !
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Congratulation on your Gouldian breeding success. Don't be discouraged by the loss of one chick; remember that these are first time parents and don't quite know what they're doing yet.
essi

Shane Gowland wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 21:18 Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Congratulation on your Gouldian breeding success. Don't be discouraged by the loss of one chick; remember that these are first time parents and don't quite know what they're doing yet.
trying not to be ! they laid 7 eggs total, and i was already concerned when 6 of them hatched with them being first time parents. that’s a big clutch. felt bad for the little guy more than anything ! but mum and dad seem to be doing a great job taking care of the rest of the babies and my plan is just to leave them fully alone to raise after that initial inspection.

thank you for the welcome !
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. As you are obviously aware - best to just up the green seeding grasses and wait patiently for fledging.
LML
essi

finchbreeder wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 14:36 Welcome to the forum. As you are obviously aware - best to just up the green seeding grasses and wait patiently for fledging.
i've been tossing a new dish of my canary mix in there for them to pick through after i joined the forum and noticed a few comments about it. they seem to be enjoying that ! i will say it was a bit of learning curve– they're definitely not the voracious eaters that canaries are. no interest in fresh veg, only a bit of interest in eggfood. i'll keep trying new items to see what they might prefer.

and thank you for the welcome !
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nothing I know of is as piggy as canaries. Plant a little of your birdseed in pots and when it seeds, give the green seed heads to them. Having 3/4 pots at intervals is best. They may not take it at 1st. But a good way to get them to, is put a canary in with them for a while. It will show them how good it is. Canarys are great - try this stuff - teachers.
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”