Random eggs

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
JacPro

Advise please .. we are relatively new to finches and have a mixed aviary. We have a pair of zebra finches who have successfully raised 2 clutches and have currently hatching their third. No other finches have ever laid eggs. However we noticed a random egg in an open basket a few days ago, followed by a 2nd egg the following day. There have been no more eggs laid in the last two days. There hasn’t really been a nest made, just soft material in the bottom that we had put there ourselves when the aviary was first assembled. I have been watching the basket and no-one really ever goes there. Very occasionally our pair of emblema sit there and occasionally a couple of the first hatched zebras fly around it. No one ever seems stressed when other finches land near by.

Can anyone advise if we should do anything at this point? I’m worried that the eggs are not being incubated since no eggs have been layed in the last few days.

Thank you in advance
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1st Please list what - type and number of finches - you have in the avairy. As this will give a better idea of the situation.
2nd How often are you looking? Could you be disturbing sensative finches? Or could they just be being secretive. Many types are, and the more you look the less they sit.
3rd Not all finches sit straight away. Some sit from the 1st egg, some from the 2nd and some later.
4th Do you have more nests than pairs of finches? You need at least one more nest than you have pairs. Not doing so is a rooky mistake.
Hope this is some help.
LML
JacPro

Thank you finch breeder

We have the following in the aviary.
2x emblema
2x owl finches
2x zebra and 4 babies
2x Burke parrots

They are all pairs

I do not have to enter the aviary to see the eggs, I can see them from the outside, I can see the aviary from afar, so can see without getting too close that no one is sitting on them.

We have a heap more breeding boxes & a few open baskets than pairs.

The basket isn’t in an area the finches commonly are, which is why this has really thrown me.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm - Well none of the finches you have are cup nesters - so the open baskets are not really ideal - and the fact that there are eggs in one is an even bigger mystery. :crazy:
Both of your other pairs of finches are generally a lot more passive than the Zebs. But like you - I keep the 3 together in small quantities, without any real problems.
I assume you have your nests spread arround the avairy so the quieter finches can nest away from the more exuberant Zebs?
And have put lots of grasses and some strips of white tissue in for nesting materials?
Are you feeding green seeding grasses, as the other finches are more in need of them than your Zebs?
I know I am asking questions rather than supplying answers, but sometimes when you answer it brings something to your attention that helps.
LML
JacPro

No I appreciate any help I can get.

We use to have a pair of caneries in the aviary as well hence the cup basket.

The nests are spread around as we did notice the zebras (especially their babies) are very “excitable”.

They are fed green seeding grasses along with seed, sprouts, vegetables and we have millet and cuttlefish in their also.

We do always have nesting materials in the aviary also, and did just amp it up once we noticed the mystery first egg but other than it been moved around it has not been used.

Again, thank you we appreciate all your help.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well it sounds like you are doing all the right things.
You just have a confused hen. Or maybe she is in breeding condition and he is not. So she just laid eggs any old place in frustration. :crazy:
With a bit of luck whoever it is will settle down and pick a nest that is more suitable and get on with it, once her mate is in condition.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”