Help with sexing a pair of gouldians and other questions

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Diveks

Devito2 wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 18:49 purple breast is a cock and the white breast is a hen. the birds look sick or very cold, if you dont have cold weather i would treat them for mites.
Might be because i took the pics on a more chilly night, i took a newer picture mid day, do they still look sickly here? If so i would have to medicate. I was going to proactively treat all the birds for mites before entering the aviary although if they are showing symptoms i might have to act faster (to or not to proactively medicate everyone beforehand?).

speedy birds, hard to take pics unless they are feeding:
image1 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diveks

Ah i seem to have an issue, the finches are NOT a pair? They seem to have a love hate relationship. They both sleep together on top of a nestbox, but will fight throughout the day over food, the nest box, perches, ect. They don’t mind the siskins but seem to hate eachother, anyway to fix this? Get another 2 bird to pair them up to? Seperate them for a bit?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It could be that one is in breeding condition and the other is not quite ready yet. So someone has the grumps about the interest or lack or interest depending on which way you look at it. If so time will fix the problem. So if they are not hurting each other, just being grumpy do not worry.
LML
Diveks

finchbreeder wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 23:29 It could be that one is in breeding condition and the other is not quite ready yet. So someone has the grumps about the interest or lack or interest depending on which way you look at it. If so time will fix the problem. So if they are not hurting each other, just being grumpy do not worry.
alright thank you, i would like to ask if you have any experience with zebra finches (preferably in aviaries) and how aggressive they are to other birds during breeding season and how to decrease it, i would love to get some but some say they are really agressive.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have far more to do with Zebs than I do with Gouldians. Due to the cold winds where I am, near the coast.
Zebs are like people, they come in a really wide range of colours and personalities.All of my birds are in avairies. Never have had caged birds in anything under 75cm wide x 1.5mtrs long x 1.8mtrs high.
Rule 1 with Zebs - 1 pair or 3 pair or more. Never 2 pair. That's when you get agro. Or if they are crowded. Put the nests all on the same level if possible. Ideally about 30cm appart (though that can be varied once you have learnt the personalities of your birds) Always at least 1 more nest than you have pairs of birds.
LML
Diveks

finchbreeder wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 22:58 I have far more to do with Zebs than I do with Gouldians. Due to the cold winds where I am, near the coast.
Zebs are like people, they come in a really wide range of colours and personalities.All of my birds are in avairies. Never have had caged birds in anything under 75cm wide x 1.5mtrs long x 1.8mtrs high.
Rule 1 with Zebs - 1 pair or 3 pair or more. Never 2 pair. That's when you get agro. Or if they are crowded. Put the nests all on the same level if possible. Ideally about 30cm appart (though that can be varied once you have learnt the personalities of your birds) Always at least 1 more nest than you have pairs of birds.
thanks i didnt know that, i was thinking of getting 2 pairs for the 4x4x3. guess ill go with 3 pairs then, i was thinking of getting a long tailed whydah pair but i heard they were murderous during breeding time :petrified: .

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”