australian yellow vs. pied

Includes Species Profile.
essi

i recently came across an ad for a 'pied' gouldian. however, i'm curious whether this gouldian is actually pied or potentially an australian yellow. we don't usually have australian yellows, as i'm located in the US. we also don't really have pieds, in all honesty.

i've asked for clearer photos of the bird in question, and some more details, but i figured i'd toss some of the far-off photos here to see what others thought.

while i'm here, i figure i should also ask what are the distinguishing features that set pieds apart from australian yellows ? we don't have that many mutation lines in the US and trying to locate more information about the colorations has proven a bit difficult. it seems as though the australian yellows are more concentrated on the back and seem to only range in greens/yellow ?
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 5.57.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 5.57.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 5.57.08 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Certainly has some of the visual indications of Australian yellow. There is a school of thought that these are in genetic terms a misnamed recessive pied anyway. But I get in trouble anytime I mention that.
LML
Craig52

I think both those birds are white breasted Euro yellow backs. The white breast on an Australian yellow is not the same as the regular white breast mutation and it can't be passed on with any other mutation white breasted bird like but it can only to an Australian yellow. In other words it's specific to Australian yellows.
The cock bird in question maybe a pied or it could have a feather problem usually caused by the liver and may moult to normal EYWB in the next moult.
As far as i know the Australian yellow has not left our country and gone anywhere in the World.

Return to “Gouldian”