Nest ideas

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Gympie birds

Hi everyone,
I have a question about neat wire towers. I have seen some nest made like a tower and brush placed inside for the birds to breed in. Are they successful or is there a risk of birds getting stuck in the wire brush nest. Below is the photos I have found from this website of the types of nest I was taking about. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I lightly fill hanging baskets with pieces cut from either my weeping willow or my ivy, as a framework to support the grass. Then give the birds lots and lots of grasses and they soon stuff them and breed.
LML
Gympie birds

Sounds like something I could give a try. Thanks for the advice.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Gympie birds wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 17:07 Hi everyone,
I have a question about neat wire towers. I have seen some nest made like a tower and brush placed inside for the birds to breed in. Are they successful or is there a risk of birds getting stuck in the wire brush nest. Below is the photos I have found from this website of the types of nest I was taking about. Thanks
These are very successful for me, as long as you don't leave any pointy bits of wire on the frame! I've had a young Plumhead whose ring got caught in a bit of loose wire. Otherwise, these work really well with almost all finches.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Gympie birds

Thanks for the advice I will make sure that there is no stick out wire parts when I construct one.

Return to “Breeding Finches”