Should I switch them out? (Pairing gouldian)

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Diveks

Hello so i currently have 2 pairs of gouldians. Well one of the pairs have been with me for around 5 months now while my other pair that I just paired up a month ago is already laying.

So the male already finished his nest more than 2 months ago, and is trying to court the female but she is hesitant and the male is getting frustrated. The female seems interested and will peek in the nest from the outside but sometimes she takes so long that the male shoos her off.

The male is also dancing to her but she ignores him and when she does this he will start chasing her around the cage, frustrated. So since i was getting more gouldian’s i was wondering if i should try switching them out and pair them up with other birds. If so, should i just switch the birds out?

Should i move them out to a cage all together with other unpaired birds, although he is all finished with the nest and i feel a bit bad, should I just put another female in the cage then, or maybe take out the female and put in a new female?
Craig52

I note where you are from but here gouldian breeding is pretty much over and they are moulting out. Normal breeding season is from around Feb/March to September.
For breeding, hens must be in breeding condition so wild type hen birds beak changes to black but not so in yellow backed hens. Out of sync pairs will not breed and will become aggressive to each other so give them a break from breeding and remove the nesting material and nesting boxes.
Diveks

Craig52 wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 10:23 I note where you are from but here gouldian breeding is pretty much over and they are moulting out. Normal breeding season is from around Feb/March to September.
For breeding, hens must be in breeding condition so wild type hen birds beak changes to black but not so in yellow backed hens. Out of sync pairs will not breed and will become aggressive to each other so give them a break from breeding and remove the nesting material and nesting boxes.
Alright thanks! Some breeders here just started breeding and they did molt out 2 months ago. Female seems interested but not in condition, she is a yellow backed hen so it’s harder to spot her beak.

I took their nestbox out and put them with the other resting birds in the flight. Felt kind of bad for the male but I guess it is the best thing for them right now.

Return to “Breeding Finches”