Info wanted on weaning budgerigars

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
fastjools

Hi All

A friend has given us a 4 wo budgie we have been feeding it for them while they were away.. We are feeding it bird formula. I normally keep gouldians.

Does anyone have any good info on hand rearing budgies and weaning? also general care. Any info would be appreciated.

thanks Julie
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My mother is a budgie breeder. But not into hand feeding. So have to think hard and remember what I can.
Do you/they have bird seed available for it to try? I feel that Mums budgies are usually tasting the seed themselves at 4 weeks.
You can add a little of the smaller seeds to the formula for it to get the taste.
Should ideally be totally feeding its self at 6 weeks - I do know - from Mums dates next to birds list.
LML
fastjools

Thanks for that - yes I have the works budgie seeds, finch seeds, crumbles which I feed to the finches with egg. Im just going to give him/her tiny bits of everything to get used to also tiny bits of fruit and veg.

On another note I have "Bluey" still in a dark nestbox what age do they come out do you know? The only reason theyre being hand fed is apparently both parents died.

Once again thanks for the advice. Cheers Julie
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Budgies tend to not be into fruits accept for apple. But like finches they love their seeding grasses, and green veg. No lettuce for any of them for safety.
LML

Return to “The Lounge”