Seaweed meal

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Jessica

I have a BHBBPB hen that didn't completely molt (her head still has some white on it). I had added some organic kelp granules in a pinch dish to the cage and, although all the Gouldians take some periodically, this particular hen DEVOURED it and is going crazy on it. I tend to believe that, like with horses, they will seek out what they lack and I GUESS it will help her.

Question: Is there too much of a good thing? If she continues to devour it, should I trust that she knows what her body needs? I'm new to birds. I've been reading, researching and studying like crazy but I don't want to hurt them! Input appreciated!
BrettB

Hi Jessica, you have been working your way through the old posts :)

Is it safe to let your birds eat kelp granules? I suspect so, everything is dangerous in excess, even water, but I doubt they will consume a health threatening amount.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Jessica

Oh thank you, Brett! I appreciate the input very much! Yes, I read EVERYTHING in the universe about Gouldians but I've recently become enamoured with double-barred Owls and Java Rice Sparrows as well, hahahha! I try to find my own answers and I know there is a TON of wealth on older posts. :-)

Oh I also adore glosters - they remind me of Ringo Starr! I need a LOT more cages and a few aviaries!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jessica, what excellent taste you have in finches. :thumbup:
I am keeping Gloster canaries and Double Bar (owl) finches also.
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”