Young Gouldian died

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
janetcatherine

Hi there,

One of my Gouldian pairs hatched 3 beautiful babies. The parents were great all the way through and 3 sweet, gorgeous, healthy looking babies came out of the nest on chistmas day. The next day mom puffed up, I moved her to the hospital cage and pretty much before I had a chance to try anything she was dead. Dad has been a champ feeding the kids and they are eating mostly on their own. Today after I had been out of the bird room for about 30 minutes (and everything appearing normal) I went back in and one of the babies was dead. Any ideas? Thank you!! Janet
[email protected]

Without knowing your situation, I would say treat for internal parasites with moxidectin and put a treatment in the water for coccidiosis.

Other than that, a post mortem by a vet might yield some answers. Freeze the body until you can get it there.

Good luck.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The stress of breeding can kill genetically weak hens.
Young Gouldians can not be counted on to live until after they reach 6 months of age.
Now that you have read the worst cases.
Gouldians are great little birds that can live and breed successfully for years with a little luck.
As you obviously have a number of Gouldians you are probably aware of most of the obvious things, but I will go through a few that we sometimes forget.
Chills kill more Gouldians than anything else, has their position or the direction of any breezes changed recently?
Breeding and moulting are taxing on any birds system. Are the birds getting extra greens and calcium - increasing these can't hurt either way.
Are your birds indoors or out? If out could a predator have spooked them into panicking and injuring themselves?
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”