Quail

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
Gympie birds

Hi everyone,
I know quail are not finches, however I know that they can mix in the same avairy. I heard that quail will eat ants is this true ? I know they eat other insects as well such as spiders as I have kept them in the past. Also what is the advantages and disadvantages of owning quail in a finch avairy.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my opinion quail are almost as interesting to keep and breed as finches. If you breed for passive natures, (cull the most aggressive and keep the quietest ones) they make great "babysitters" for any finches that jump underdone. I have a lot of these at the moment - mind that is because we have just had 3 consecutive days of 44/43/44 So the babies really don't want sitting on.
My quail eat a few ants, but regretfully not as many as I am currently getting in the avairies - looking for water - for obvious reasons. They are basically little scavengers, and eat anything that is on the floor. Insects, greens, grain.
I am into the colour mutations, decide if you prefer dark or light factor - when you buy in new blood - look for this. You can develop a range of colours, and maybe even patterns (not quite as easy)
Mine are so quiet now I have to be careful not to step on them as they wander round my feet instead of keeping out of my way.
LML
Gympie birds

Thanks finch breeder , they sound like something I may try. I had some when I was a kid and really liked them, I miss there call .
elferoz777

if you get jumbo jap quail you can eat the eggs. I got two dozen today after being away for a week.

great egg food for baby canaries and the family. if you're suoer keen, you can incubate the eggs. 8 weeks after hatch they are ready for the BBQ or to sell on.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My parents used to breed the Jap quail and eat the eggs. As well as use the eggs for the canaries.
Mother still uses King quail eggs for the canaries when she has spare hens laying.
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”