Pairing Gouldians for colors

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4 Outdoor avairies from .75m x 1.2m smallest to 1.8m x 3.2m largest - owls are in a medium size one.
Definately not enough - I keep telling hubby - 10 might be enough. :think:
LML
Jessica

Craig52 wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 15:57 Best pairing would be a yellow back split to blue to get the same colour as her. Remember she is a yellow back but is also a blue that makes her white. The blue is autosomal recessive so all young be split to blue/blue yellow backs. With this mating you may even get a double factor blue male that will be totally white if it doesn't have a purple breast but a purple breasted double factor is a striking looking bird.

Hey Craig, while we're waiting to find a silver male, this pastel (named Lover Boy) has been swooning over Madonna (the silver) and she snuggles against him and they stay together all the time. My brothers want to let her have the Honeymoon Suite cage to themselves so they can 'get a room.' ;-)

They DO really seem in love. What do you think we'd get? I tried to use the Genetics Forecaster http://www.gouldianfinches.eu/en/geneti ... a/english/. But I don't know what to select for male or female since what's listed doesn't really make sense to me anyway. Can you help me identify them on that website?

BTW, Lover Boy is an incredible color. He looks like a white pearl essence on his back (meaning it changes colors). It is silverly blue/green very faint color but when you look at him directly from behind, his back is the pale blue similar to his neck! Here is what they look like (attached). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure Madonna will appreciate it as well!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jessica

Craig, you know more about genetics so I was hoping you'd give your opinion on what we might get (color wise). I didn't want to bother you by asking but I couldn't tell by the Genetics website analyzer. The options still sound greek to me over some basic understandings.

I thank you in advance for any input particularly something like, "Don't do it! the kids will be puke grey with slime green heads! If we're going to breed outside what naturally may occur then we'd like to at least be responsible for the life it creates. :)

And of course I welcome finchbreeder, Brett and others' opinions. I zoomed in on Craig because of the genetics aspect. And now l... I'll show myself out. :P
Last edited by Jessica on 21 Jan 2023, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.gouldianfinches.eu/en/geneti ... a/english/
I think I have it right and this is them.
Well that didn't work.
OK - If I am right - put him in as Yellowhead and her as black head - him as purple chest and her as white chest - him as SF pastel blue and her as silver.
Think that is right - as the pics that it produces look like the birds.
Then what it comes up with as produced, put that in and you will get pics showing what they will look like.
Think that should work.
LML
Jessica

Oh thank you so much!! I had him as yellow head but didn't have her as black head! And I didn't know whether he would be single factor or double. That really helps me get a clearer picture of using the forecaster! But the results are ... in other words, the kids can be just about anything but probably soft and muted colors like their parents.

Does that sound like the best I can expect? I guess I need a life. hahhah! And even if the kids are ugly or genetically inferior, we'll still treat them with respect being they are 'special.' Heck one Owl came out of the shipping box with a deformed leg. But he's so cute and sweet to the others. He's my favorite!

ADDED: for others, here is the result:
Lover Boy genetics to Madonna.jpg
So does Red Headed/Black Headed/Yellow Headed mean a toss up - that 25% will be males with 1-in-3 chance of red head etc?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not crash hot on the Pastels, so he may be a red head not a yellow.
Red/black means red split black - as Purple/white means purple split white
The 1`st listed colour is what you should see, the 2nd can be produced through breeding.
Why I admit to being a fan of bright colours not pastels when it comes to gouldians.
But we would be a boring bunch if we all liked the same things.
LML
Craig52

Yes that forecast works out exactly right.
By the way, he is a single factor male blue in other words a pastel blue. The hen is also a single factor blue but comes out silver because she is female and because she has a white breast.
Confucius say just breed them and see what you get.😁
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with your brothers. Make the birdies happy and get them the Honeymoon suite.
LML
Jessica

Craig52 wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 19:17 he is a single factor male blue in other words a pastel blue. The hen is also a single factor blue but comes out silver because she is female and because she has a white breast.
Ohhhh, this is putting the pieces together for me. I was not clear on SF versus DF! Thank you, Craig!
finchbreeder wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 18:13 Red/black means red split black - as Purple/white means purple split white
The 1`st listed colour is what you should see, the 2nd can be produced through breeding.
Oh! That's what SPLIT means! This helps a lot in my understanding. I was never clear, even after a LOT of reading on it. And they SHALL get the Honeymoon Suite, finchbreeder, thank you!

Now I shall have to go back and reread everything on it to truly understand it! :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I still get it wrong from time to time as Craig can confirm. And my mother has been teaching me genetics for over 50yrs. (since I was a kid)
Mind I think my dyslexia, helps to confuse me. As my daughter is a degree holding biologist, who can do this stuff better than me.
LML

Return to “Breeding Finches”