Poorly finches, nothing is working

Includes Species Profile.
FinchCanaryBreeder

Just a quick update.... there has been some improvements from the wormer, birds are looking brighter with better plumage however I don't want to speak too soon and the most poorly finches may not make it... This doesn't mean the wormer has sorted the problem only time will tell. A few more days will confirm it.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is unlikely that 100% of the finches you treat will survive. The weakest 10% will just not be able to survive the stress of treatment. But to save 90% is worth it. So very glad to hear that the 1st promising signs are there.
LML
FinchCanaryBreeder

The wormer has definitely made some difference so they must of had worms. There is a 2nd underlying condition which I think is linked to a calcium and vitamin d3 deficiency because they are not getting a whole lot of natural light.

I have some Repti Calcium with D3. Its ultrafine precipitated calcium carbonate supplement for reptiles.... Is it safe to mix some of this with there seed mix?
Craig52

Calcium with D3 is great but a little bit goes along way with finches. D3 can't be absorbed without Calcium being present in manufactured D3. Of course direct sunlight is the best way to supply D3
FinchCanaryBreeder

I've mixed a bit with there drinking water and a bit with there seed mix, that might stop them from itching. If it doesn't then it would indicate a secondary infection so I'll wait too see if calcium and D3 is all they need.

Its winter here in the UK and there have been a lot of dull days, with the finches being indoors this makes it even darker. Days are short, I get up at 6:00am to feed and water them and I leave the light on for them until day light appears.

It gets dark again around 3:30pm so they are not getting much light at all. Sometimes if its a clear day outside they will catch the morning sun beaming in so I need to be providing them with supplement's to tie them over. Hopefully this will solve the itching.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know what you mean about lack of sunshine, as the sister in outer London is looking forward to coming home in March for Mothers Birthday and the sunshine.
LML
FinchCanaryBreeder

My house have also suffered a bit from lack of sunshine. On very dull days I'd have to have lights on during the day.

There has been some further progress. None of the finches appeared to be tucking there heads this morning and even the most poorly ones look like they are getting better so that wormer has really worked some wonders. I did find a dead chick unfortunately but I was expecting it not to make it. The itching is less but hasn't completely gone. I guess it will take a while for the calcium and D3 to work into there system so only time will tell. It was a pleasure to watch them all flying about for the first time in a while. The two canaries look amazing now. There was a tiny bit of beak wiping so things aren't perfect just yet but progress is happening.
Craig52

Finches and canaries do preen themselves quite often and wipe their beaks on their perch just to clean it. You might be thinking that it is because they are itchy but it is very normal activity. They wipe their beak after they have eaten or had a drink. Just a thought for you.
FinchCanaryBreeder

This itching is constant but I know what you mean. The moment when they wake up they itch like crazy and pecking at there stomach. This is not preening. I've sat through many youtube zebra finch videos and none itch like mine do. If they are not eating they are itching the entire time. some still have green diarrhea.
FinchCanaryBreeder

Just an update... things are still looking good. One of the finches had its head tucked on Friday but I haven't noticed it tucking its head today. One of the chicks also does the same. I need to repeat the treatment again on Feb 15th.

It is tempting to give them another dose of treatment earlier but best I stick with the instructions. I worry that the infection might advance again. I know its not gone because at least 3 of the birds still have runny stools but other than that, compared with the state they were in before treatment, things are still going well.

Return to “Zebra”