Raging hen

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Jessica

Situation: large cage with single pair with two nests of which to choose (one black plastic Hagen and one wooden) same height. Cage in spare room undisturbed, enclosed except for front. Yellow back red head male and yellow back orange head female both 9 months old, first clutch of 4 eggs laid in Hagen nest.

Both parents incubated faithfully (first egg observed Feb 18), serious incubating started Feb 23) and hatch predicted March 12-15. Our family is practicing NO-STICKY-BEAK behavior with only mom allowed to quickly peek one time when incubating starts (no touching or disturbing nests). Nest last checked Feb 24.

Couple got along nicely both eating well with good parental behaviors. Until two days ago ...

We record our finches and group-discuss after watching clips of them so we all know how they are doing and the hen (Buttercup) attacked the male (Wesley) - SERIOUSLY chased him and bit him and feathers flew. This happened repeatedly throughout the day and she will not let him even near the nest!

So today my mom peaked in - we thought maybe eggs hatched early and she was being overly-protective but no, still eggs only but ... only two eggs - two eggs are gone. The cage has plexiglass across the base in front (16" high) so the eggs couldn't have fallen out. We think he ate them! She attacks him then goes back into the nest. She finally came out today to eat and he was freaking out at her and went into the nest and she attacked him immediately again and feathers flew.

We don't know if we should split the cage in half and keep him away from her. Later today, she let him eat next to her but after they ate, she attacked him again and then fanatically went back into the nest while he freaks out - paces outside the nest and keeps trying to get in.

WHEW! It exhausts us just watching them and it can't be good for either of them. But they are due to hatch and won't the babies need both parents to feed them? We've read that sometimes the single parent handles it but does this kind of squabble sound common? No blood on either one of them and no bald patches but feathers do come out. Ideas please!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never heard of this before. Gouldians usually take turns sitting on the nest - so it is particularly odd that she is not letting him have his turn. Neurotic first time mum to be?
LML
Jessica

Thank you, finchbreeder! They shared, switching off and on, incubating from 2/23 to just now and I don't understand what has changed. The only change was two eggs disappearing. Daddy spends his time frantically trying to get into the nest and she spends her time snaking her head at him and daring him to try it. He ends up sleeping in the empty nest six feet away from her and the eggs. They're still at it today.

I will check them for physical damage from the fighting tonight. If no visible damage, I guess I'll let them fight. But if they look worn out or damaged, I'll put up a panel separating them. They were so sweet to each other for the past FOUR months so it is odd!

ADDED: We also considered if a mouse got into the cage but we read 16" panel will stop them AND we really don't have mice in the house.

ADDED ALSO: Plus the nest is at the top of the cage - 1/2" wire spacing VERTICAL bars and the nest is five feet above the floor so I don't think it is mice!
Jessica

Well go figure, finchbreeder ... this morning both are in the nest together! When I get close to the cage to peek inside (from the outside), she came out and got on the wires between us, moved forward in that racing (threatening) stance they can get and glared at me with her mouth open. I wasn't even close to her nest - maybe 5 feet from it!

So she's either neurotic or ... maybe she's just PO'd at him ... maybe he asked her to make him a sandwhich - that'd certainly upset any woman! :wtf: Or he told her to smile. :crazy:

Actually, to us, it indicates she's a very devoted protective mama. And since he's now allowed to sleep back in the bed with her insead of the couch, all is forgiven! :D I'm glad we didn't separate them now.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like a neurotic 1st time mum on a hormonal rage.
LML
Jessica

She still does it - off and on. The eggs are past-due on hatching - predicted hatch of March 12-15 but we know that can vary. They're beginning to eyeball the other nest in their cage but still incubating the first one. We're learning to relax a bit. As long as we do everything we can and continue to study/learn, let nature take its course and don't be a sticky-beak! THAT is the most difficult of all. :frogg:

A few in the family (not me) wants to make the nest boxes transparent so we can see but I suspect the finches wouldn't use it and my dad is looking into mounting a camera/light (?) inside the nest but, from what we can observe, most of them build coco fibre on ceiling of nest box as well. In fact, we are AMAZED at the constructions of them! SHOCKINGLY BEAUTIFUL CREATURES! Final verdict is as you predicted, finchbreeder: hormonal rage. :puppy:

Update: I just looked and she is only 9 months old and yes, it's her first.

Return to “Breeding Finches”