Hello :)

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Sar

Hello :)

I have recently come into possession of three finches, all were kicked out of nests in two different aviaries (none mine, I don’t own any).
I am a veterinary nurse and wildlife carer so it seemed fitting that I was the best person to attempt to hand-rear these three little gems - I mainly look after kangaroos so this was certainly a very different world I was entering into.

The first I acquired was a 10-14 day-old Crested Bengalese Finch out of my fathers aviary, then two 7 day-old Lady Gouldian Finches a few days later from the aviary at work.

Four weeks later and I have lost one of the Lady Gouldians just in the last few days ( I believe there were some issues from the fall when being kicked from the nest as it was a long fall and there was some significant bruising around the crop, which I feel created scar tissue and digestive issues). I still have the crested and one of the gouldians and they are doing really well and starting to wean onto the vary in offered feeds.

Anywho, I am hoping to learn more from the gurus on here about hand-rearing and the best way to raise these animals in future!
These guys are awesome hand-reared and a heap of fun!!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope that you looked through posts on here and found the ones that were useful.
Not something I am brave enough to do.
LML
Sar

finchbreeder wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 11:57 I hope that you looked through posts on here and found the ones that were useful.
Not something I am brave enough to do.
I certainly did find some interesting posts and information!
I lost the other Gouldian through the weaning period as they seem to be much harder to wean compared to Mannikin’s. I still have the mannikin and he is completely hand-tame and is a shoulder pet :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations.
Bengos are tough little finches, and can, as you have found, be very quiet.
Sorry about the Gouldians, they are sometimes a difficult finch.
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”