Homemade food

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
kowalski

Hi,

I know some people mix food ingredients on their own rather than buying a pre-mixed feed. Would any of you be willing to share what your main ingredients are and what proportions you use of each?

There are lots of "safe" foods listed on the sites I have read but there is less info on complete diets formed from these foods.

Thanks for reading
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I feed whatever greens are seeding in my garden (1/4 acre of wildly growing grasses plus a bit of real garden)
LML
prestonflatley

Here's a homemade finch food mixed I think will be easy to do with everyone
50% Canary seeds
25% Millet seeds (white and/or red)
10% Niger (thistle) seeds
5% Flaxseeds
5% Sesame seeds
5% Hemp seeds
Proportions can vary slightly based on personal preferences and the specific nutritional requirements of your finches. Some individuals may add additional ingredients or adjust the proportions based on their finches' preferences or dietary needs. When preparing the mix, ensure that the ingredients are fresh and free of any contaminants or signs of spoilage. Store the mix in a cool, dry place in an airtight container to maintain its freshness. It's also beneficial to supplement your finches' diet with fresh fruits, vegetables, and occasionally treats like egg food or mealworms to provide a varied and balanced diet.

Return to “Diet & Food”