Would a UV Meter be Useful?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
tonywirrell

Does anyone have any advice about UV Meters? I have Gouldians and I did such a good job of protecting them from the weather that they were then not getting enough UVB and Vitamin D.

Polycarbonate and acrylic sheets block UV at almost 100% but I'd like to know if my birds are getting enough UVB by reflection, etc. So I thought a UV Meter might be useful? (Then I could add full spectrum lights if I need to). Any comments?
Craig52

Most breeders who are worried about a lack of UV add a synthetic vitamin D3 and calcium to their drinking water or to soft or sprouted seed that can combat that during long periods of no direct sunshine.
There must be areas in your aviary that gets sunshine in Winter and Spring when the sun is at an angle though. 5 to 10 minutes a day is ample for birds.
BrettB

HelloTony
I would agree with Craig, supplimentation is your best option if you are concerned.
How much direct sunshine is enough, not a lot if chickens are anything to go by, about 15 minutes daily.
No research on Gouldians that I am aware of.
The birds do seem to search out little patches in the sun, perhaps they know when they need more or maybe they are just looking for the warmth.
Full spectrum lighting is expensive and then you have the running costs, it might be easier to leave a panel off that allows some morning sun in.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
tonywirrell

Good answers - thank you. What supplements do you think? Something like Ornithon? I have just received my first order of Finch Seed Mix with TummyRite Plus included. That reads well?

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”