Grasses to grow in aviary and where to source them

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Glow

Hi,

I am building a planted finch aviary (my first!) and would like to obtain a couple of species of grasses that I can grow in the aviary and also potentially in pots.

I would like species that stay under 2m, produce seed heads for the birds, are ideally fine leafed, hardy and drought tolerant. Can anyone recommend a couple of species and more importantly let me know how I get my hands on them!

Many thanks
Graham
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Talk nicely to finchos in your area, about what they would recommend and where to get them. Then they may be kind enough to give you small plants. That's how I got a backyard full of seeding grass plants.
LML
davlee

I grow by planting finch seed in pots. They seed really well. The gouldians love the seed when it is green or ripe.
Glow

Many thanks davlee. That sounds like a sensible thing to do. When I was reading on the net and people mention Panic, Veldt, Tussock, Barnyard, Guinea grass etc, I assumed I should try and source these separately?

Thanks Graham
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Planting birdseed is my 2nd go to. It is useful - particularly with Aussie grown seed - as imported stuff is not viable in many cases.
LML
collector_and_buyer

Up on the Mid North Coast and even in some parts of Sydney,there is plenty of Green Panic growing in the table drains and on the side of the road.Grab a shovel and go and dig up some reasonable sized plants and transplant a couple into the aviary and put some in big tubs.

Return to “Diet & Food”