Aus Yellow Gouldian Split to Blue

Includes Species Profile.
Craig52

elferoz777 wrote:I think we should focus on strengthen ing the individual mutations. The blue back is inherently weak courtesy of the poor breeding methods used to establish them. Ay can go either way depending on who sells them to you.

at least with ay you dont check the floor before the perches every day like with young blue birds.

Just my opinion but I dont believe we should further ruin the blue by adfing ay, lime or dilute to their already sub par immune system.

Hopefully in a few yews we can reap the benefits of the dedicated breeders that are trying to fix them now.
I don't agree that we will ever get back to the genetic mutations that we used to have since the introduction of Euro yellows,it's the inexperienced that are breeding two yellow birds together thinking they are the same bird/mutation.
Dedicated breeders also have to dispose of stock and their easiest way to do that is by bird sales,this is where the new hobbyist buys a bird from many different breeders of different mutations and cocktail begins.
The worst thing that happened to the gouldian imo was that they were taken off the licensing system and any joe blow can breed them with what colour they like. Today the gouldian is just another cheap pretty domesticated bird for all to enjoy whether you are a novice or a serious breeder imo. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gouldians require a licence in WA. And the more who breed a bird the better its chances of survival. Yes it would be good if pure normals could be guaranteed. But if breeding the pretty cocktails gets more people into finch keeping and breeding then some of those go on to be the experts of the future its all good. Everyrthing has its posative and negative sides.
LML
LML
elferoz777

Its not all good when they accidentally breed blue to blue or ay to ay repeatedly.

Mutations needs to be well established before theyflood the market.

The money mongers have ruined it.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
craiggeering

I'm guessing when you are talking about AY BLUE, you are talking about what others calll AVB'S.
craiggeering

So from the above comments is the following correct..
AYB X AYB = 100% AYB
AY X AY/blue = AY/ blue
& BLUE
AY X BLUE = BLUE / AY

If incorrect please let us know.
Cheers
Craig52

First off, all mutations need to be blue or split blue to get blue young so combination N 2 wont work as only 50% of young will be split for blue but all will be AY
AY x Blue = all normal young split blue and split AY
Both mutations are autosomal recessive so you need both parents split to those mutations or being a coloured mutation bird split for one or the other mutation to get AVB young.

Return to “Gouldian”