Aviary Visit /Tour

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
VR1Ton

Any body ever thought about organising an aviary tour of some description?

I've been on a couple of local ones when I was a member of the local bird club, & done one with an Orchid society when I was in Bundy. I know cost is a major factor especilly if you've got to travel, accomidation ect. But thought it would be good to see a few members and even a few non members setups to see how other people do things, it's alot easier to see than try to picture it from a description. It's also good to put a face to a name on a screen (eeven if it is a little rough like mine :lol: ) & meet other members and expand your contact base.

It's just a thought.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I reckon that's a great idea. maybe by state?
It'd cost a lot less that way.
OR, maybe we do a thing where everyone posts some good pictures from a lot of angles of their aviary(s) and photos of a good selection of their birds?
Just putting cost in mind.

However, a nation - wide finch tour for the AFF, while impossible monetary - wise, would be the awesomest thing in the past century!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes it would be good but in all reality I think cyber aviary tours would work best since most people live in the middle of nowhere :(
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Buzzard-1

Jayburd wrote:everyone posts some good pictures
Me !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: breath :lol: :lol: :lol: get up off floor :D
VR1Ton

Is a bit of a problem for us country folk, I know, but as I said, just a thought (a fairly dear one at that I might add).
E Orix

The reason I suggested that we should let people know near where we live helps when buying and selling birds.It also can assist with regard people travelling in an area knowing there maybe a chance of an aviary visit.

Before I go on I am NOT suggesting we put addresses on the site, far from it.

Aviary visits, not everyones home is set up to take numerous people. Several factors come into it, size and aviary layout
How your collection will cope with many people, if you sneak around and the birds are kept in a quiet zone then losses may occur due to the noise etc.
People may be very private and not want to have a mini invasion,believe me a bus load of bird people does stretch the situation at times.
Over the years we have had numerous bus loads(last one 2 weeks ago) visiting here and my layout can handle it. The birds don't fuss as I have a loud a noise layout.I do not sneak around,lawn mowers ,hedge trimmers are used when required so the birds aren't frightened as much. Mind you they can just quietly drift away and hide.
I must admit I would prefer smaller group as you can spend more time talking as well.
By visiting collections, it is one of the best ways to learn,not just looking at the birds but how they are kept and managed.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

its like everything some love it some dont ...I could think of nothing worse than people trapsing all over my yard but other people would find it enjoyable having a heap of people to share the love of birdkeeping with .
Ive found by buying birds locally that some breeders will invite you in and talk ur ears off for hours while others will meet you at the gate with birds ready caught and ready to go .
Different strokes for different folks .... stick some pics on here and Ill look at them for sure.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with e orix.
However, I still like the idea of a cyber - tour, and maybe we can go in - depth to questions on setup, health managment, etc.

Example: I would love to see E Orix's setup, discuss his ways etc. but a trip to Vic. won't be feasible for the next few years - I have a life ahead of me, but making the vic trip won't be a goer for me (unless with my parents) for a LONG time. Therefore, it's free and easy just to chat here, and post pics.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Lukec

I am keen for this.'

I agree with E Orix's approach whereby you list your city so people are familiar with which part of this vast land you are from. I am sure discussions and visits will proceed.

Maybe even if you are a member of a club it might be worth displaying that instead or in addition to your location. This can make introductions easier as well as potentially boost club members as i am sure there are plenty of people that are assigned to a clu or would like to go to one that may not know about yet.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Luke
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
Diane

Well all you folks that want aviary tours, get out your pens and start writing :D , we already have a form of aviary tours in the newsletter.
As Ive said in the newsletter announcements Im more than happy to include any "My Aviary" stories and pics. All you have to do is write them and send them to me. Include a couple or lots of pics. If you want any help writing it just put the general idea together, sent it to me and I will "expand/tidy" and send it back for approval before it gets published.

This is one form of viewing the members aviaries, through the newsletter.

Now I expect to be swamped with "My Aviary" articles in the next few months...... :lol: .....Im waiting :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”