Selective breeding of king quail

spanna

so I know they breed like rabbits, and aren't really given any special care in most cases (namely because they don't need it to breed like mad :lol: ) but was looking at one of my young males today and he has a strip of red from his belly stretching almost right the way up to his bib...

was wondering if anybody had bothered selectively breeding quails like the painted firetails have been bred; to increase the red coverage of the chest/stomach? not really a big worry for most people i would think, but might be able to charge an extra $1 for a cock bird :lol: (wouldn't though). just think it may be something interesting to do with these birds that breed so readily.

also, how would one go about selecting a suitable hen to breed with such a cock bird? that is to say, a hen that will help increase coverage of the red... ideas anyone?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i have been trying for some time.
I think, if you were to get a bird with a completely red underside (I at least) would pay quite a bit for them.
I've been going for a nice strong silver.
Hens, I'd pair it with the biggest and best you have :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had a cinnamon hen with a white back (pied) many years ago. Tried to breed pieds from her/her only chick. No luck. Do you know who the parents are? Could try crossing back to mum. Or being a quail and likely to be prolific. Do as Jay said, then again to next best. Breed half sibs. Experiment. Would like to see a red fronted. What base colour is he?
LML
LML
spanna

finchbreeder wrote:Had a cinnamon hen with a white back (pied) many years ago. Tried to breed pieds from her/her only chick. No luck. Do you know who the parents are? Could try crossing back to mum. Or being a quail and likely to be prolific. Do as Jay said, then again to next best. Breed half sibs. Experiment. Would like to see a red fronted. What base colour is he?
LML
he's a normal. thinking i might just try him with a couple of different hens and see if any good looking young pop up :lol: i know who mum is but not really too eager to break that pair up. they're a normal hen and silver cock producing large numbers of healthy babies like clockwork, both brilliant parents, AND producing significantly more hens than cocks!! dunno. might play around and see what happens. its not really a mutation, just an enhanced trait, so might just experiment with some different looking hens i've got to see what happens. by different looking i mean some that have larger bibs and darker colours etc.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”