Gouldian questions

Includes Species Profile.
flap

We have room for one more pair in our current aviary and the other half has his heart set on gouldians. We know nothing about them though he is reading up. I have read that they need pretty much a whole aviary to themselves. Plus all the stuff about being more delicate though I understand that this is not the case any more as they have acclimatised to cooler climates than NT. So is it a good idea to have them with other birds? (currently 2 pr DB, 1 pr OB and 1 pr yellow stars, currently nesting) - our aviary is 2.8x1.5 (which includes the safety door section, so less room for them). It is so tempting to go another aviary!!!! I can see how this can turn into serious hobby first, then total obsession!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
flaP
mickw

Short answer, just to start the ball rolling.........go for it....you have enough room. Buy your Gouldians from someone local who breeds outdoors preferably......then your ones should be tough enough......keep the head colours together, best not to mix them, ie red head to red head, yellow head to yellow head and black head to black head............

They'll probably end up dominating a bit, but most will be inoffensive enough......they'll breed after Christmas generally

PS: Go for Normal wild-type coloured birds...............Mutants are the scourge :P
Diane

flab wrote:It is so tempting to go another aviary!!!! I can see how this can turn into serious hobby first, then total obsession!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Resistance is futile :lol: ....you will get another aviary.

I had a pair of gouldians in with a pair Blue faced parrot finches they both bred successfully. Just have to be careful they are "bonded" pairs though as these species can hybridize.
I currently have young uncoloured gouldians in with the BFPF and quail and in the main aviary I have gouldians in with emblema with young, orange breasted waxbills with eggs, ruddies trying hard :lol: and quail.
Everyone seems to get along nicely.
PS: Go for Normal wild-type coloured birds...............Mutants are the scourge :P
:o
I like the mutations....well some of them.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

Thanks MickW, the other half will be happy. Would be looking at one pair of normals, RH. Bluebutterfly glad to hear that the goulds are getting on with the others. Don't know about the mutations (barely know what a normal looks like!) but I do like the yellows. Although they look a bit too similar to canaries, and the other half definitely likes the normals.
flaP
VR1Ton

Each to his own, but you can't go past a normal Gouldian, the mutations just don't compair in my book.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Go for it. Buy a pair of Gouldians now, whatever you like best. I like normals mostly, but some of the mutaions are almost as good. My Gouldians seem to get on fine with the other finches, which include Double bars and Orange breasted. Then buy yourselfs a new avairy for Christmas. Then by easter you will need some more finches. It's called creeping obscession. We all catch it eventually. :lol:
LML
LML
flap

Yes, I am sure we have already. I can feel the bug incubating as we speak. At what point do you sell the house to make room for more aviaries? :lol:
flaP
Diane

That goes after the car and before the other half has left. :lol: :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
flap

Right! Actually other half shouldn't be a problem, he was into birds before me and now we are as bad as each other! :lol: He is on AFF as well so will read this at some point! ;) Not sure how he will feel about the car though! :D
flaP

Return to “Gouldian”