Breeding from gerriatric Cordonblu Stock

Includes Species Profile
GregH

I've recently found that hanging on by the skin of their teeth are a few cordonblu waxbills owned by the big names in finch breeding in Manila (Philippines). I've suggested that thier owners work cooperativly to save the species by giving them to those able to breed them and of course there is strong reluctance to give up their prize posessions. What I don't have is exactly what conditions these birds need as I've only ever bred Australian species. I probably won't get far calling them zombie collecters but that's what these guys are doing if they aren't willing to allow these birds to breed. There are very few hens and as far as I know nothing has come in since 2005. No breeders have aviaries (here the term is used for a breeding room full of cages). If there is little chance of cage/cabinet breeding and I'm the only one with aviaries I don't like my chances of getting the birdss but I've got to try.

Can someone advise me on the following:
1) How to get individual aviculturists to work cooperatively and to part with their trophy pieces without up-front compensation. I've suggested they get progeny for partiscipating.
2) How do you condition & entice birds to breed with birds that are that old - eg diets, housing, minimum space requirements, artifical nest types, brush types etc.
3) If the birds do nest should the young be parent raised or fostered and what are their dietary requirements? I know that you need live food but how much and how often as they develop. Hints on amounts of green and soaked feed would also be appreciated.
4) At what age should the young be allowed to breed and how many clutches should be allowed? Pressure will come for as early as possible and as many clutches as possible (locals reckon that it's only one clutch/year but that's probably because they aren't feeding them right).

Hope someone can help or tell me about their experiences with cooperative breeding schemes.
Greg
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, I'm ignorant of the answers to your questions. But wanted to wish you luck with a very worthwile project.
LML
LML
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my cordons breed readily and without trouble in a mixed aviary, heavily planted though.
for feed, a good quality seed mix, fresh greens daily and plenty of live food.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im with Mickp in thinking less is more ie less fuss just good husbandry practices and let them do their thing . Good food , stress free environment and a bit of good luck .
Dont know if you can plan on how many clutches , if they are becoming rare then maybe for the sake of the breed let them have as many as they want providing they keep in good health.
If the parents are doing a good enough job then Id leave them alone ( no fostering)
Basically let nature run its course with a bit of help from you .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
BENSONSAN

Ive been unlucky so far but have no trouble getting mine to go nest. There are beautiful bird and i rekon mine have more charachter then any other birds ive got! I believe my problem so far is mine are both very young only 7 months old. I should have not allowed them to try to be honest. And also being slack with the live food. Also my wife gets upset about the mealies in the fridge hehe.

But they are always first to eat something new and land on the food. I rekon if it wasnt for them my other birds wouldnt have come around to eating such a varied diet so soon. Also a good sound worming program and air sac mite treatmeant and the usual good vitamins and lotsa grit and sand and charcoal etc.

Anyway who am i to say just trying to throw you as much as i know. And im sure youve bred way more birds then i.

i rekon just stay on there case explain the reasoning and allow them to keep some of the young ones. Maybe get them to do the whole aviary thing? Also on the finch forum the international one i think it is. Ive red a few posts there of people breeding both red cheeks and blue caps in cages and cabinets so i dont think thats impossable either.

Good luck go talk some sense into erm until they come around.

Ben
Diane

On the recording side of things. A foolproof way of identifying each "starter" bird and who they belong to and a iron clad "who gets what and what happens if" document with all participants signing. Possible third party involvement keeping the records and as a casting vote should a disagreement arise.

On the parent raised and fostered. Maybe you could do a split, half the eggs from each clutch under foster parents and leave the others to be raised by the parents.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”