Amazing Story....

Includes Species Profile.
Pooky

I was breeding White Zebra Finches and I had about five or six babies in a cage that were ready to leave the avairy where their parents were kept so I placed them in the sun on a nice sunny day. I placed them on a table were one side was close to the house.After about an hour or so I checked them and our cat managed to sneak under the table and just put her paw up between the house and the table. The cat had grabed one finch and squashed it up against the cage trying to get it out. I just caught her trying to pull another bird through the wires of the cage.
The cat had broken both of the birds legs at its nuckles.....I caught it just before it killed the bird. I nursed the bird and took care of it for the next few weeks against peoples advise that it was creul to keep the bird alive.....well I just couldn't kill it.
Even though this bird had its feet pointing up towards its head, it managed to get around just like any other bird. It was able to land on any sized perch,fly around like any other.
This bird mated with a female then built a nest for her to lay her eggs.
Because he was only young when it happened it was amazing some of the things this bird could do without legs.
Unfortunatly he was stuck behind a nesting box a couple of years later and couldn't free himself so he died. He was an amazing bird.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is amazing how some critters adapt to survive , of course it wouldnt have survived without your home nursing ...good thing is it had a good life and reproduced and thats what its all about in the animal kingdom....well done. :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

surely you havent finished the story, I want to know what happened to the cat? :twisted:
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nature is very unforgiving of the "faulty".
But as long as the fault is accidental not genetic, there is no reason why we should be. :D
Good on you for your TLC
And as for the cat :evil:
LML
LML
Pooky

Thankyou for your comments.......
And as for that bloody cat.....it still won't make eye contact with me.. :twisted:
Its my daughters cat so.... you would never guess what I called the bird.." Legless". :)
gomer

Well at least he had some sort of life.Most would have let not given him that chance.I would imagine it would have taken alot of time nursing him.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Pooky

Not really he was young and he adapted very quick. A few people thought I was cruel by leaving him like that, but I enjoyed seeing him pick bits and pieces for his nest.
shanny2

you sure proved everyone wrong sorry to hear about him dieing but he muct of been your favourite one
Going 1 step at a time

Return to “Zebra”