Bird poop amounts - Gouldian's big poopers?

Includes Species Profile.
natamambo

Is it others' experience that their Gouldians poop a lot more than their other birds? I have two identical sized aviaries, each with 6 birds (6 gouldians in one, 2 longtails, 2 painteds and 2 redbrows in the other). For a short while 2 Gouldians were in the mixed flight while I sorted out the new aviary. The plant in the mixed aviary is now covered in poop (in the time the 2 gouldians were housed in there) and the new aviary in just three weeks has as much poop in it as the other one would take months to accumulate.

All birds are healthy, the poop is nice white and black the way it should be and no bird is dirty around the vent so it's just "normal" even if voluminous.
desertbirds

I never really thought about it but now that you mention it,its a good question.The gouldians are on on their own and possibly sitting or have they got young ones ? Is it possible that birds have a bigger poop when they are sitting and not out and and about so much? A bit of a build up so to speak.If they are also taking in a greater amount of food to feed young ones and keep up with the physical demands placed on them, then maybe they need to poop more.I recall having larger poop and more of it around the seed tray when i had gouldians,its not present now they are gone, and they were either sitting or had young ones most of the time they were here.Could just be a case of having there favourite perch above your plants and therefore being more noticable.Good observation either way.
mackstaa

If they are breeding the hen will poop quite big..
Does that sound like your case?
The cockbird should have small firm ones.. Nothing to worry about unless you notice something unusual inside ........ :cloppy:
Mackstaa

Return to “Gouldian”