nests galore

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

at the moment I have 4 pairs of gouldians sitting tight in nests, one pair has at least 4 eggs. no need for peeking in that nest crazy birds set up home about a metre from the food dishes, every time I enter the aviary to feed them the hen can be seen. at first she left the nest ech time I entered the aviary but luckily she now sits tight.
gold breasts have just finished building a new nest. the last clutch are now fully coloured and still have one white feather on each wing.
red billed firefinches have already raised two clutches this season and the hen is sitting on their third ( and final) for this season.
painted finches are sitting again as well.
and last but not least the st helenas are still trying to provide me enough eggs for an omelet
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Poohbear UK

Keep it up Mick...wish I had your sunshine...I'd breed some too
Matt

Good to hear Mick.

It's always funny how determined the birds can be to nest in the places where you don't want them. I have a pair of painteds on eggs at the moment that chose to nest in the half beer case (for the second time) that I fill with nesting meterial. In another aviary I have a pair of blue faced that were intent on building a nest between the rafter and the colorbond roof sheet directly above the main door. The amount of material they moved in one day that fell off the rafter and onto the floor was incredible. I added a flower pot nest there and now they've settled into that.

My Gouldians are just getting underway too. I have five pairs either with eggs or young. All but one of those pairs were 08 bred so not sure how many young will fledge from their first round, but it's still promising.

Return to “Breeding Finches”