Gouldian hen can't fly

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
natamambo

I noticed last weekend one of the hens couldn't fly, was just hopping around the aviary. Was able to catch her up by hand without any effort. Put her in the hospital cage for 2 days and she seemed normal so put her in a small cage inside.

Vent is clean, breathing OK. Eats and drinks normally. No obvious sign of sickness at all. Wings aren't droopy and look OK. In fact, there is nothing to indicate sick bird except that when I put her back in the aviary today she flapped her wings and jumped up and down a couple of times and it's clear she still can't fly. However I can't really leave her on the floor of the aviary for the rest of her days.

She was de-wormed a few weeks ago and sulfa'd when I brought her in but as I say there has never been any sign of an infection.

Any hints?
VR1Ton

Had a freind with a hen Yellow-tail Black, who had a similar problem, vet diagnosed calcium deficiency, given calcium direct to the crop the liquid in with sprouted seed, was flying again in 4 days.
SamDavis

Does she have a full set of flight feathers? Maybe she's lost enough that she can't fly?
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What brand / sort of Calcium would be best for this type of thing ... ? Is having cuttlebone and calcigrit in the aviary enough ?
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
VR1Ton

Grit & cuttle alone will not supply enough calcium for your birds, it is also deficient in other minerals such as iodine. Any liquid calcium supplement with D3 & magnesium would be fine, the vet actually recomended sandoz syrup, only because he new the concentration of it. I use a combination of grit & mineral powder similar to Poly's blend, much better for the birds than just grit & cuttle alone, but still provide cuttle for them to chew on, helps keep them occupied.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: Would biocal be much the same.?
David Brent
Myzomela

Dr Colin Walker's Biocal contains calcium and iodine.
There is another Biocal supplement which is just calcium and glycine ( an amino acid).

Quick summary- powdered/block calcium sources with/without other minerals are good dietary sources of calcium used before and during the breeding season.

Liquid calcium supplements are better if you have a bird suffering from calcium deficiency eg egg-bound hen or growing chick or laying hen with bone weakness, so long as you give them directly to the bird. They are less effective in water.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK so along with the cuttlebone and calci grits , its not going to hurt to put a dish of Biocal in ? OR should it be sprinkled on food for a while ?
David Brent
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oooops sorry Natomambo for hijacking your post , it made me aware that Im not giving my birds enough minerals .
David Brent
GregH

I've got a hen Diamond Firetail that I've had to place in a cabinet for the last 3 months because she can't fly. Her flight feathers are in terrible condition and I can't get her to moult which is my preferred cure for the situation. If you come up with a solution I'm desparate for one too.

Return to “Finch Health”