Clear eggs

Includes Species Profile.
iaos

When people say that "the first clutch is often clear", is it usually because the males aren't sexually mature, the females aren't sexually mature, or the birds are quite in season yet?

The reason i ask, is that i have a first year cock with a second year hen and checked their box today, expecting young, but appeared to be 5 clear eggs.
desertbirds

It could be any number of reasons.I would just remove the eggs and let them try again.If this is their first attempt i wouldnt be concerned about fertility.Perhaps they didnt mate properly or were disturbed off the nest.Sometimes newly paired birds take a nest or two to get things right.
iaos

Thanks DB, will give them another week to make sure i have my date right. Not overly concerned, just curious.
Cheers
POLAR GOULDIANS

I have read in a few differerent places that the male is usually slower to become fertile, his beak will become a pearly white when fertile, while the hens beak will go dark sometimes appearing black. In most of my Gouldians the hens will be in breeding condition about 2 to 3 weeks earlier than the cock birds, there are always exceptions.
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Gouldian”