bleeding heart pigeons

roma9009

Nicobars have to be one of the prittiest pigeons you can keep
arthur

B-H Pigeons are finch compatible aggression wise . .but the poor finches panic and crash into the mesh etc for the first couple of days and then think no more of their new aviary mates until the B-H's build a nest on top a a finch nest (usually the one with young in it) . . .

They are live-food gluttons and will stand at the live-food/soft food station and eat the LOT . . . One way of preventing this is by putting a frame of 50mm mesh over the containers, allowing finch access but not pigeon access . .

B-H's are also flighty to the point of blind panic if cornered. Many have bald/scarred heads where feathers will not regrow, from literally "hitting the roof" . .

I found that if you do not make eye contact with them they will not panic and wil allow you to pass by very close to them . . likewise when they are incubating . . They can be quietened somewhat by tossing them mealworms but will never lose the tendency to "lose it" if they feel threatened

They are not the sharpest tool in the avian shed, but are very attractive birds and add a further dimension to the aviary, spending most of the day on the floor but roosting at night on high perches

A good breeding pair will nest almost continuously . . but infertility is a problem with many pairs, possibly because of lack of genetic diversity . .

DNA sexing is recommended, from a dozen birds there will be three "definite" cocks, three "definite" hens, and six "maybes"

Obviously larger planted aviaries are required and small enclosures would be a no-no

Price seems to vary from place to place and from time to time . . around $250 +/-
They seem to be a bird that varies from hard to get . . to hard to get rid of

This is a copy & paste of a post from last year . . may help
Nrg800

I would love Bleeding Heart Pigeons!
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
Myzomela

My wife, who does not like pigeons at all ( go figure!!), says that bleeding hearts are her favourite pigeons... because they look like they've been shot !
Jeez, as if birdkeeping isn't hard enough...
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Tintola

Tell her that in the Philippines they believe that the red on the chest represents the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
That will either win her over( if she is religious ) or turn her off all pigeons forever (if she is not)
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Myzomela wrote:My wife, who does not like pigeons at all ( go figure!!), says that bleeding hearts are her favourite pigeons... because they look like they've been shot !
Jeez, as if birdkeeping isn't hard enough...

absolute opposite from my mother, she HATES bleeding earts for obvious reasons! I like them, but I prefer golden hearts - the kings of the doves!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Trilobite

I purchased a pair last year from a produce agency who were selling them absurdly cheap ( wont say how much) as they must have just been recently fledged and weaned - head feathers were moulting and the colours very washed out. Thankfully theny survived but as yet have never done anything until I had them DNA sexed (a must) and found that they wouldnt do too much as they were both females, nice but not optimal. Anyway managed to get onto a wonderful old breeder who had some DNA sexed males and have let them pair up naturally. They are gluttens for mealies when offered and absolutely devour hard boiled egg yolks, so much so that I have to push them out of the feed tray when putting the days fresh food into the avairy. They are so peaceful, but truely are ground doves, as their ability to fly is akin to a throwing a thong at the avairy wall, thankfully they spend most of their time on the ground and only come up a bit off the floor to roost. Anyway fingers crossed this breeding season. Thanks also to the member who posted the thread on their diet (likes and dislikes).
Cheers
Trilobite

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”